Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, July 16, 2012

Monday Musings: On becoming...

I've been with several people during the aging process and I've noticed something. They begin to revert to some childhood wants. At the end, both my father and mother-in-law only wanted to eat ice cream.

I frequently ponder big philosophical questions, trying to make sense out of the things that happen in my life. Most of you know I sing in a trio at retirement communities. What you may not know is that singing has become a way of healing for me, just as writing my memoir over a 10-year-period proved to be not only cathartic, but literally transformed my life.

Both of these things have helped me become more of who I believe I was meant to be--before my spirit was beaten down by childhood dysfunction, childhood sexual abuse, and the ramifications those things had on the choices I made in my life.

Maybe we do come full circle when we come to the end of our lives, back to the spirit we were before any bad stuff took hold. I do believe when we begin to lose our functioning, whether it's physical or mental, we must turn both inward and outward to Spirit for guidance.

Do you have any childhood desires you haven't fulfilled?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Good post, made me think ...

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Thanks for giving us an opportunity and reminder to think about past goals and aspirations...and see which we might connect with now!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Somewhere around 20 years ago, I started taking on more of a parent role with my mom as she started reverting back to child-like things. (Not in a bad mental way - the roles just began to reverse.)

Jennifer Shirk said...

I was just thinking about this the other day that I always wanted to take acting and singing lessons but my mom discouraged me. I should do it now dangnabbit! :-D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If I could eat ice cream without guilt, I'd do it. Never became a rock star, but at this point in my life, I don't think I'd want to be one.

Rosalind Adam said...

Can we ever reclaim that innocent spirit that was us as children? I'm not sure that we can. Last year I bought a garden swing seat, a grown-up genteel type of swing, and all I want to do now is to swing as high as I can, like when I was a kid, legs outstretched, head hanging back, hair trailing the ground. But it's not capable of doing that and maybe neither am I any more.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I have a few. Most of them I was able to accomplish when I went out on my own. Except being a movie star or a recording artist. But still, I did a version of them both acting in local plays and musicals. Plus, I sang in a band--several--when I was in my 20's and 30's.

Good for you getting beyond the dysfunctional and childhood sexual abuse and without the whole forever *victim* syndrome. I'm a great believer in you either deal with it or IT deals with you. I rather do it on my own terms.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

KarenG said...

Very thoughtful post, Karen. Sometimes I fear I never lost my childish behavior. I eat cookies and candy as much now as then. I still read labels on cans and bottles. And there's some people I just don't like even though my mom always tried to talk me out of it. Maybe when I reach the last days of my life, I'll start growing up a little.

DL Hammons said...

According to my wife, I've been a child all along so I don't have much to revert back to. :)

It's wonderful to have outlets to help us figure out who we are, and where we're going. We never grow out of that!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. interesting thought - perhaps now I can mull over your ideas ... I don't want to eat ice-cream all the time!! But as my mother said do things before you're 80 .. so I'd better get on with it .. I can't think of childhood aspirations - but since I've been blogging my thought processes have changed .. and I'm very happy spending time in Museums, gardens, historic houses and I hope to get back to do some travelling .. and spending lots of time with family and friends ...

The world is my rainbow .. cheers Hilary

Arlee Bird said...

Funny you should mention the thing about ice cream. I was just saying to my wife the other day while we were driving through Texas how it might be kind of neat if they made other flavors of ice cream like steak and meal type things. It was mostly in jest, but I do think that as we get older issues like teeth and gum discomfort and digestive problems make us want more liquids and soft foods instead of the solid foods we prefer when we are younger. I can imagine a time when I might want a lot of soup and maybe even things like baby food. I'm not there yet thank goodness, but I have thought about it.

Lee
Tossing It Out