Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, July 13, 2012

Old Lady Arms

I wrote an essay once called Old Lady Arms. This was even before Nora Ephron wrote I Hate My Neck. Lots happens to our bodies and our minds as we age, things we must come to terms with and accept. I've had a most difficult time accepting the sagging skin that hangs from my upper arms when I hold my arms out.

I wear sleeveless tops, but don't feel good in them. Until now. I found a top from a catalogue that is perfect for me. It has cut out shoulders and material that goes on the upper arm from just below the shoulder to the elbow. With its scoop neck and bared shoulder, it is very sexy, yet it covers the part of my body I dislike the most. I feel like a million dollars in this top.

I guess it's just going to take some creativity as I move along this aging process to continue to feel as good as I can about myself. At least until I stop caring.

Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I know what you mean. I've learned how to hold my arms just right to minimize the effect though. My husband loves bare shoulders so that part of me is often exposed.

I wish bathing suits with skirts would make a big comeback, because the back of my thighs is the part I want covered.

L.G.Smith said...

Ha! I'd buy that top in every color it comes in. And I am starting to really hate my neck. I know exactly what she meant by that. :P

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some things we just can't control.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, it makes me laugh when someone as beautiful as you has issues.
L.G. I did (buy it in every color, I mean).
Alex, it's a girl thing. Men don't seem to obsess over body parts. At least I don't think so.
Karen

~Sia McKye~ said...

My arms aren't great but I'm at the point, who cares. I dress for comfort, coolness, and the tops are pretty. My husband has been moaning about my not wearing a lot of shorts this year. I've found cotton maxi skirts and I love them! Feminine and cool.

Have a great week end Karen!

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Kristi said...

I'm with you on the arms!

I've caught myself being horrified by certain photos (wherein my arms look huge and unproportional to the rest of my body)...now anytime someone takes a photo, my mind instantly finds ways to minimize said arm-discomfort. :)

Maybe I should be looking for different tops? Love that idea!

Jennifer Shirk said...

I've been working on my arms FOREVER and I still have issues!

Karen Walker said...

I'm sorry gals but I am so glad I am not alone!!!
karen

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Glad you found something to work!

I've had to really search online for the kinds of clothes I like (clothes that are very much out of fashion!) I don't like having to pull my pants up all the time...these low rise jeans are awful!

Tonja said...

Someone told me that circumcision scars (I know, yuck) are like war wounds. We should be proud of that kind of scar because it's a reminder of what we went through to get something (someone) really awesome. I think saggy skin and wrinkles should be looked at the same way. (Easier said than done.) I'm sure you look beautiful.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. finding things to suit is just so difficult isn't it - I can't wear wool, polyester, nylon, linen .. so I really struggle to look tidy - let alone smart! I'm comfortable and that's the way it is ...

You're doing so much for yourself and your community - that's great .. cheers Hilary

Eve said...

hahaha! This is so true, and I'm glad I'm not the only one! I already hate my neck...and my arms..well, my upper arms. I've been really working them over when I work out, but so far I don't see a difference. Love the idea of a great top that will hide them and show them off at the same time!

Rosalind Adam said...

Old lady arms! Don't talk to me about old lady arms! They were tones and tanned last time I noticed them and now look! Gravity has go a lot to answer for.