Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Comings and Goings

One family we are very close to just returned home from a year's sabbatical in Viet Nam. Another family we are very close to is leaving our community and starting a new adventure in another state. I used to be someone who really hated change, but I've come to realize change is constant. Almost nothing remains static. Which, when I really think about it, is a good thing. Because if I have a bad day, I know it's going to change. Maybe not that minute or that day or even that week. But it will change.
On the other hand, if I have a good day, I know that won't last either. So, that leads me to the understanding that all we have are moments. I am learning to treasure them, whether they're good or bad. Because it's all we have and the only way to hold on to anything is in our hearts and minds and memories.

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

"In all things, give thanks."
I'm not comfortable with change, but it's going to happen, so I might as well accept it.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yup!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My life can be rather chaotic some days so change is all just part of the plan.

Julie said...

Learning to treasure the moments is something I'm working on as well. Wise words, Karen.

Arlee Bird said...

I don't like big change that is imposed upon me, but I don't mind change that I instigate. And like you say, change is inevitable.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Suze said...

Our lives and existence are dynamic in this incarnation. It has to do with learning. The brain does not learn or adapt without variance.

Another wise post, my dear Karen.

Gene Bodzin said...

Change and loss, change and loss, and life goes on. That's the toughest lesson to learn, and the hardest to accept. What we enjoyed as children will always remain comfort food or a comfort place or a comfort person. And the lesson doesn't get easier no matter how old you get.

Sharon Lippincott said...

A couple of weeks ago I attended the 50th reunion of my high school class in Los Alamos. Talk about change! EVERYTHING has changed. People look different (sometimes for the better), and also seemed more open and accepting (this is good). The town, compared to my memories, has been trashed (IMO, this is not good). The mountains have burned, nothing but the Post Office is where it used to be, the retail area is now mostly offices, much of the original housing looks like a candidate for demolition. The canyon behind our house that I so loved to roam in has been subjected to fire abatement measures -- underbrush, fallen limbs -- anything combustible was burned while the ground was covered with snow. Those efforts are compounded by the current drought to render the place nearly unrecognizable.

When we encounter tiny changes, like one new building, one friend leaving town, aging a day at a time, and so on, we hardly notice. Turn your back for fifty years and ... I'm glad I saw these people again, but it's tough seeing that the town I grew up in is as different from the updated version as a first edition Nancy Drew is from the same several-times-revised-for-today's-(dumbed down)tastes as a book with the same title on shelves today.

kmckendry said...

After moving to 6 different states, I have come to respect change and embrace the way I'm forced to grow as a person because of it.

Tracy Moore said...

You're right. Change is going to happen no matter what, so accepting and even embracing it is the wisest thing to do. It's also one of the most difficult things to learn but it's worth it.