Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Finding healers

I have to admit I believe in Western Medicine. But I also think we sometimes need to look to alternative methods if the traditional ones haven't worked. I've had a chronic hoarseness for as long as I can remember. The Western docs can't tell me if it's acid reflux, post-nasal drip, sinusitis. I've had all the tests, endoscopies, allergies. I finally went alternative and I won't bore you with the details other than to say my chronic hoarseness is almost gone. I've also had hypoglycemia forever and my blood sugar issues have led to extreme irritability and acute anxiety if I don't get food when I need it.

Those symptoms are gone. I can now go as much as 4 hours without eating and I don't get anxious or irritable. I do get hungry. And my weight has dropped even further. For the first time in my adult life, I don't have to worry about losing--just maintaining. It has changed my life.

I think we're all different. We have different needs. Different ways of addressing those needs. I just want to say that I am grateful there are alternatives to traditional Western medicine because some of those methods have totally transformed the way I am living my life and how I am feeling about my life.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've heard there's a natural, herbal cure for just about everything in the world.

L.G.Smith said...

I've enjoyed researching natural remedies/medicines for my novels. The birth control info was the most fascinating, but I had to look up stuff on stopping bleeding, fighting infection, oh and poisons too. :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think whatever works is what we should use! I've also found relief by using alternative medicines and treatments. :) Glad you're better!

KarenG said...

Herbal medicine is something we should all learn about. There may come a time we can't just pop down to the corner drug store and we'll have to grow our own.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. we are finding so much more out - especially as we take our own health in our hands .. and work out what suits and what doesn't .. as you've done - well done.

Cheers Hilary

Julie said...

This is so interesting Karen. I've recently been reading about alternative medicine and I'm very intrigued by the possibilities. How wonderful that you've had such amazing results, I'm so glad for you!

Suze said...

I'm curious about the remedy. And how ironic that the chronic affliction affected something so vital to you, your beautiful singing voice ...

MontanaView said...

Agreed! Alternative Medicine is now playing a huge role in healing. Happy to hear it is working for you.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, there probably is.
L.G., yes, I've had to do similar research for my novel.
Elizabeth, I just wish Western docs were more receptive to Eastern - it shouldn't have to be either or.
Karen, that's so true.
Hillary, yes, we are.
Julie, I'm astounded at how much better I feel.
Suze, I'll be happy to share
MontanaView, thank you
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

I have a pretty good medical plan and follow what they recommend. However sometimes I am concerned about all the drugs they prescribe for me and wonder if they are merely working in cahoots with Big Pharma to push drugs. Thank goodness I'm pretty healthy so far.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Rosalind Adam said...

You've touched a nerve. I'm blogging from my 'sick bed' right now. I have a throat infection, a mouth of ulcers and the antibiotics don't seem to be touching it. I just know that I'll have to get worse still because antibiotics do that to us, don't they. Yes, I should be considering alternatives.

Ann Best said...

I think, Karen, that western medicine does some things very well -- straightforward things like broken bones -- but I'm also very much for "alternatives." The two complement each other. I'm working through some issues with Jen right now, trying all kinds of over the counter stuff for itching in certain bodily areas. Done the antibiotics, which sometimes cause troublesome side effects! And now it's to aloe root and other "natural" means. This is kind of like your "hoarseness." There ARE alternative methods that we could and should use. I'm very with you on this!!

And thanks for stopping by and commenting on my new grandbaby post. I'm so excited to see the new little guy, and his adorable and loving older brother!

Blessings on you too, my friend!!