Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - the power of memoir

Most of you probably know that I wrote and published a memoir. I did it because it wouldn't leave me alone. I wanted others to know there is a way out of excruciating pain. I struggled with whether to publish because, after all, who would want to read the story of someone who isn't famous or isn't some kind of spiritual guru or doesn't have "credentials" yada yada yada.

I have always loved reading memoir and ironically, I enjoy memoirs of those I've never heard of more than those of famous people. But it wasn't until I recently finished Mark David Gerson's memoir, Acts of Surrender, that I finally got the power of memoir. I was unable to put it down. I want to thank Mark David from the depths of my soul for his willingness to share the depths of his soul and to be able to write so eloquently the journey his soul is on. I knew I loved memoir but it wasn't clear to me why until I read this one. By reading someone else's story, we don't feel alone in ours. I get that we are all connected because of our humanness. But it is only when someone is honest enough to share their humanness, that we can really see that. Mark David's book (and the human the words poured out from) is a gift to me at a time when I sorely needed to understand what truly surrendering to Spirit means. It helped me to read that I don't have to understand why I am receiving the messages or urges, but only to listen to them. 


Mark David also wrote my favorite book on writing, The Voice of the Muse. To find out more about him and his books, please visit http://markdavidmuse.blogspot.com

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yours was certainly powerful. Never read a memoir before but I'm willing to try another one after reading yours.

Ann Best said...

Karen: How eloquently, as eloquently as you wrote YOUR memoir, you've expressed the power of memoir. I'm eager to check out this one!

Suze said...

What a sincere tribute, Karen. You really drew me in as I was scrolling down the dashboard with the passion evidently inspired by Gerson's journey -- and how it intermixed with your own.

Love to you this day.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, thank you so so much for these kind words
Ann, so nice to see you here - miss you!
Suze, love right back at ya!
Karen

KarenG said...

I'm with you, Karen. Memoir is powerful and can change lives! Thanks for this review, I'll pop over and check out his books!

Eve said...

Hey Karen..I love memoirs! It's one of my favourite genres to read. I love the memoirs of famous people, and also those of the not so famous. We all have a certain time to be alive on this planet, and it intrigues me to discover what other humans have done with their time, whether they are well known or not. I have not read your memoir, or Mark David Gerson's, but I'm going to find them now and read them both! Thanks for this post Karen, it's just what I needed!

Tracy Moore said...

Sounds like a wonderful memoir. I'm going to find a copy in the near future and read it. Such high praise coming from you means a lot.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. this sounds an amazing book - sorry I've just got here, but wanted to make a note of it - now done. Hopefully I can get myself organised more now .. and this looks like an amazing read, let alone MDG's "The Voice of the Muse" ...

Cheers and hope you're having a lovely weekend .. Hilary

Anonymous said...

Learning is a bitter root, but it bears sweet fruit.

3iPaz http://www.cheapuggbootsan.com/
fDxe http://www.michaelkorsoutletez.com/
iFns http://www.cheapfashionshoesam.com/
8bCfq http://www.burberryoutletxi.com/
4mTtg http://www.nflnikejerseysshopxs.com/
6nDmj http://www.coachfactoryoutlesa.com/
3eYxw 3vCcl 0cNzj 2dHds 3gGqf 4cGdt 9dVuh 5fAvz 1iMgc