Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Trust

I have written so much about trust. It's a huge issue for me. As a child, I trusted no one but myself. Then, when I began to make poor choices in my life, I stopped trusting me. Then I went through a period where I trusted everyone but myself, whether it was deserved or not. Now, I know not to give my trust until it is earned. And I do trust my own feelings and instincts, and most of the time, I even listen.

But I still don't trust Spirit completely. I am reading Mark David Gerson's new memoir, Acts of Surrender. Over and over again, Mark David surrenders to the guidance he receives. I am resisting this deep level of surrender to my writing. In the past, I've leapt into the darkness of the unknown, knowing I would be held up. Why the lack of trust now?

Perhaps I just need to make that leap once more. Yes, yes, and yes. That is what I need to do.
How about you?

Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some would call that a leap of faith.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Trusting ourselves is often the hardest thing to do.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yes, that is what I am talking about and my faith is a bit shaky right now.
Diane, yes, tell me about it
Karen

Tonja said...

I think trusting ourselves and knowing that we are strong enough to handle it when other people let us down (and they will, whether they mean to or not) is much more important than being able to trust other people.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I think Alex nailed it! Hugs to you. I know you can make the leap.

Suze said...

Karen, this post so beautifully articulates that journey for all of us. I loved reading it. Twice.

DL Hammons said...

For me, trust is one a case by case basis. I rarely trust anyone or anything completely. :)

Claudia Moser said...

Not many I trust either, but one thing is for sure, it has to be earned!

Mark David Gerson said...

Keep listening for those whispers, Karen....and following them. And remember that it's okay to be afraid. It's even okay to resist. What's not okay is to let that fear and resistance paralyze you.

I spent too much of my life in that kind of paralysis. That doesn't meant I don't get scared. I get plenty scared, as you must have read in Acts of Surrender by now. But as Toshar is told to do in The MoonQuest, I do my imperfect best to move through the fear to the other side. That's something I know you can do!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Maybe you're being challenged again. Follow your intuition.