Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Insecure Writers' Support Group - July

I'm not insecure anymore. I'm just not working on my novel. I figure if I'm meant to write this darned thing, my Muse will let me know. In the meantime, I'm toodling along, singing a bunch, working out, hanging with hubs and with friends. Life's too short to fret over things that are not or over things I have done or things I am not doing which I think I should. Don'tcha agree?
Karen

22 comments:

Susan Roebuck said...

I think that's a perfect idea. But I also reckon your sneaky Muse will hit again very very soon, so watch your back. In the meantime, enjoy!

Kirsten said...

Oh I agree! The novel will come back when the time is right. I have to say, I really admire that you can sit back and let the story come to you. I need to learn to do more of that!
Life truly is too short to worry about whether I'm keeping up with every other writer on the world wide web.

Karen Walker said...

Susan, I think you're probably right.
Kirsten, Amen!
Karen

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

So true, Karen. I'm writing again after months of up and down. Happy IWSG.

Melissa said...

Great attitude. And, um...it's August. (It snuck up on me, too. LOL)

Thanks for visiting my blog. :)
IWSG #179 (At least until Alex culls the list again. :P)

Tracy Jo said...

Love it and yes, so true! Just reading this I could feel the release of chains and fresh air. Sometimes things shouldn't be forced. Hugs!

Melissa Bradley said...

Very important reminders. I stress too much over my writing sometimes. Thank you for your comment today, it really touched me. :)

sydneyaaliyah said...

I agree, but sometimes your muse needs a little help. That's ok, too.

Karen Walker said...

Yeah for you, Joylene
Melissa, yeah it's summer - vacation, right?
Tracy Jo, some things just can't be forced.
Melissa, you are very welcome
sydneyaaliyah, yeah, that's true - I guess.
Karen

Julie said...

This is my favorite IWSG post yet, good for you. :)

Tonja said...

You're absolutely right.

Cherie Colyer said...

Life is definitely too short for any of those things!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Yes! Need time to enjoy life before it's gone.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

In the meantime, just go have fun!

Nancy Thompson said...

Oh I so agree! It shouldn't be a chore. It should be enjoyable. I never force myself to write. I only do it when I feel like it and the words cannot be held back. Too many writers think you should have a daily or weekly quota. Oh whooey on that idea!

New follower here via the IWSG!

Nicki Elson said...

Yes! 100% agreed. And the funny thing about the muse is...it seems the best way to get a reaction is to ignore her. ;)

Nicki Elson said...

Yes! 100% agreed. And the funny thing about the muse is...it seems the best way to get a reaction is to ignore her. ;)

Arlee Bird said...

Sure, I agree, but I'm still insecure about a lot of things and I probably always will be. I mean, I'm not dying over my insecurity or letting it hinder me too much, but it does make me stop and think now and then. I don't know if I can blame insecurity so much for not working on the writing I should be working on, but sometimes I'm insecure that I won't get it done. Hmm--maybe that's not really insecurity.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Murees Dupé said...

You have a fantastic attitude. It is definitely inspiring and you are so right. Worrying about things you cannot control is not worth the time.

Tracy Moore said...

Karen, you are so right about this. Sometimes the harder we push, fret, and beat ourselves up with the shoulds...the less that happens. Relaxing and letting your muse guide the way is a fantastic approach.

Karen Walker said...

I love all of you for the comments here - sorry I was away most of the day and into the evening.
Whew!
Karen

Sharon Lippincott said...

I find that my relationship with my muse is like any other. She gets tired of always having to take the initiative. I need to take my fair share of turns calling her. And ... she demands respect. If she offers inspiration, I'd jolly well better hop to it if I want her to keep on task.

In case you wonder, I call her via journal entries.

My relationship with Sarabelle will always be a WIP.