Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, August 10, 2012

Making Choices

I'm beginning to think we have choice about everything, even the things we think just "happen."
We may not be choosing consciously, but somehow the events of my life all lead me to where I'm supposed to be, even if it's difficult.

I don't want to write the novel I am writing - for all sorts of reasons. I don't believe I have the skills and talent to do it. I don't believe I am the right person to write this particular story. I don't have the energy to do whatever will be necessary to market it once it's done. Yada yada yada. But the truth is, this story chose me. Now I have a choice to listen to it or not. There are consequences either way.

Writing, for me, is the way I make sense out of my life. It synthesizes my thoughts and feelings and the events which occur in a way talking about it or thinking about it does not do. So not writing is not an option. But not writing this novel - is that an option?

I don't think so because I don't think I want to live my life with the emptiness inside that comes when I don't do what I am feeing compelled or urged to do from my Higher Self. I don't know what those are but I know from past experience, I don't want to find out.

So, I am re-committing myself to spending time with my story and getting myself to a place where it begins to emerge from deep within me.

What choices are you facing these days?
Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Tonja said...

For writing, I am choosing to outline some new stories before I finish editing. Everything else in my life seem like no matter what I choose, it's all bad. Lucky I have some control over what I write.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We regret more what we didn't do than what we did do.

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I believe the same thing. There is always a choice, no matter how hard it is to see or to accept.

Karen Walker said...

Tonja, I am so sorry.
Alex, I hope to leave this planet with no regrets.
Paul, very poignant comment given what you've been through this past year.
Karen

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I still believe there's a purpose to everything that happens, something to be learned. My wife and I are better, stronger people for what we've been through.

Arlee Bird said...

Good for you, Karen. If you had a story that you once believed in, you believed in it for a reason and there is something worthwhile to it that you still may have to discover. Every second of life is a choice and our decisions impact the next second and all the seconds to come. Not making a choice is making a choice so might as well make a well reasoned choice.

Best wishes for that novel. Keep us posted (I'm sure you will).


Lee
Tossing It Out

Karen Walker said...

Paul, I am so glad.
Arlee Bird, thank you. I sure will.
Karen

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I'm glad you're going to settle in with your muse and your story - it will come - patience is a virtue sometimes ..

Good luck .. cheers Hilary

Kimberly and Jerry Peterson said...

Your post could have been written by me!

I continue allowing life to get in my way of completing my first book.

My excuses are always valid, or so I think they are but after all they are still just excuses for not doing what I am really wanting to do but too afraid to do it!

Keep focused and it can and will be done!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

You're right. The things we do, the roads we take, and the way we react and interact with other people are all choices. It'd be nice to just float along and let life "happen" to us, but that'd just be an illusion. Even if we're hiding out down in the galley, we're still responsible for captaining our own ships. Me? Biggest decision I have to make now is whether to keep plugging my novel with other agents and/or publishers, fuhgettabout it and start work on something else, or self-pub and be done with it.

Gene Bodzin said...

This resonates with me, Karen, because writing my memoir required me to ignore everything I knew about being published. Now that it is written, and my story is out there in a way that will offend the right people in the right way and amuse the other right people in the right way, I am taking steps to publish. It will get done, even if I have to do it myself, on paper, electronically, or in the sand. You are right about all of these things being choices. We do what is more important than not doing them. Now that my story has been told, I do not consider publishing to be as important as trying to publish, possibly impressing an agent. All the readers who matter have already been impressed -- or offended.

Jemi Fraser said...

Great post, Karen! We do control a lot with our attitudes and our choices. I'm struggling right now with whether to pursue traditional publishing or whether to jump into the self pubbing pool where I can have more control over my stories. Tough choices :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

This is the story that sought you out in Scotland, isn't it? So glad to hear you making the choice to write it!