Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 13, 2012

Monday Musings: Accepting what is

I have good news. These past few months have been dry in terms of working on my novel. Nothing has happened. But I felt empty inside not writing. Last week I had coffee with my former writing coach, Mark David Gerson http://markdavidmuse.blogspot.com. We hadn't seen each other in a while and spent the time catching up, and of course, talking about our writing. Or in my case, my non-writing. Mark David just looked at me and said, "You just need a kick in the ass." I cracked up. I also admitted I don't want to write the novel but I don't feel as if I have a choice.

The next morning I opened the document and wrote two pages. The following morning, another few. Accepting what is - that I don't want to write this book - somehow freed me and words are once again emerging.

Mark David said something else that stuck with me. Resistance is futile. Why is it so difficult to accept some spiritual truths?

Do you resist what you know you to be true?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Suze said...

'I also admitted I don't want to write the novel but I don't feel as if I have a choice.'

Therein lie the horns of your dilemma.

Jennifer Shirk said...

LOL! That was good advice he gave. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I fought through the fifth book of my series, annoyed with the character and just wanting to finish. It ended up as the best of the series. Go figure.

Tonja said...

I don't want to do the dishes ... but I must. :) Great that you're writing again.

Jacqueline Howett said...

Glad to hear you're writing.

Have a great week!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Good for you!
Resistance is futile - sounds like the Borg.

Karen Walker said...

Suze, so so true
Jennifer, it sure was!
Diane, I know...who among us can figure it all out?
Tonja, the dishes will keep piling up till there's no room in the house - writing isn't necessary in the same way
Jacqueline, thanks, you, too
Alex, that made me laugh out loud!!!
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

Maybe this will inspire me too. A swift kick is sometimes what it takes. Good advice.


Lee
Wrote By Rote



Tracy Jo said...

All the time...and then something or someone kicks me in the ass. ;-) Congrats on moving forward. So awesome. Love this post!

Jemi Fraser said...

Sounds like Mark enjoys Star Trek with that quote! Glad you're back into the writing - hope it becomes more enjoyable :)

Angela Felsted said...

I totally feel like this sometimes. I know writing is what I need to do in order to feel sane and balanced. Yet, I'm scared to get started for fear of having to finish. Good for you, getting started on your writing project.

Mark David Gerson said...

Wow! That's awesome, Karen. Thrilled to hear that you're "back in the saddle"!

Mark David Gerson said...

@Jemi - I was never a huge fan of the original, but I was of Next Generation and Deep Space 9!

Karen Walker said...

Arlee Bird, I hope it does!
Tracy Jo, guess we all need it sometimes
Jemi, me, too
Angela,I"m trying to take baby steps with it.
Mark David, thanks for the "kick."
Karen

Carol Kilgore said...

It's always the simple things :)

Tracy Moore said...

Congrats on getting some writing done! That's wonderful, and I'm so happy for you. I wholeheartedly agree that resistance is futile...even though I am a resister myself. I have no clue why this is but I suspect that it is simply getting used to the way things are even when it isn't working and then having a hard time accepting the need for change and doing the things that we know to be true. It's also possible that there is some stubbornness in there too...at least for me. ;)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. so pleased for you - kick up the arse .. that's what I need too - but I keep trying to get my leg round to do it! I am moving forward .. as I don't want the twisted limb syndrome!!

Have fun and have a lovely weekend .. cheers Hilary