Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 27, 2012

Monday Musings: perspective

Everything is a matter of perspective. If I stay focused on myself and don't compare myself to anyone else, I can usually keep my perspective. My path is my path; my destiny my own--no one else's. No one can say I should do this or I should do that, because it's my path and I will stumble or stay on it, depending on the choices I make.

I need to continually remind myself to remember perspective. It's all how we look at things. If I view the world from my "unwanted" perspective, everything looks very different than when I view it from my "wanted" perspective. Right alongside perspective in the scheme of things is assumption-making. If I come from my unwanted core, I usually make incorrect assumptions about the person, place or thing. If I come from my wanted core, I understand that for whatever reason, the other person made a decision or choice that didn't include me, but I also understand that doesn't necessarily mean I'm unwanted.

Bette Midler sang a song years ago all about perspective. It was called From a Distance. And it says what I'm trying to say here much better than I can. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fky1dfANPiI

What is your perspective?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Very interesting, I am going through similar mind discussions!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's always better when we view the world with a positive attitude, regardless of our perspective.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

My perspective is that I'm all right with it either way.

Karen Walker said...

Claudia, wish we could get together and "talk."
Diane, so true.
Alex, you must be so peaceful to be around
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

Attitude is everything! I find as I get older the best thing for me is to just let go of a lot of worry about other people and their motivations. I'm usually wrong anyway. :)

Bish Denham said...

You are so right. It's important to remember who we are, to remain true to ourselves. In this day and age I think it's becoming harder and harder for young people to be themselves as they are bombarded by so much advertisement.

Suze said...

Karen, I've really been enjoying your posts these last several weeks. I emailed a link to this to a friend of mine.

Arlee Bird said...

On my journey I'd rather drive in my own car than ride in someone else's crowded bus. On my own I can stop to enjoy the sights I want to see and do the things that interest me. For me the perspective from the drivers seat is better than just sleeping while someone else is behind the wheel.


Lee
Wrote By Rote

Karen Walker said...

L.G., yeah, me too.
Bish, I agree - but I also think we had the same problem - I remember when Twiggy became the rage and we all that we had to have stick figures to be beautiful.
Suze, thank you for that
Arlee, yeah, I want to be in control of my own destiny, too.
Karen

Tracy Jo said...

I work hard at my perspective but as I keep working, it gets easier. It is difficult to keep the noise of others out, then when I separate myself...at times I feel guilty. I have always been a people pleaser so to follow the beat of my own drum isn't easy. BUT possible and we just have to keep after it. You are right..it is OUR path and we have to follow it to keep our sanity and be happy. :-)

KarenG said...

I've found when I'm tired my perspective gets skewed. And I'm with Diane-- positive attitudes work best in nearly every situation. Although again, fatigue makes it more difficult.

Ciara said...

I performed this in sign language years ago. Wow, that song brought back memories.

Karen Walker said...

Tracy Jo, I need to constantly remind myself this is my life and my path and not get mixed up with other peoples' journeys.
KarenG, yes, lack of sleep definitely affects my perspective.
Ciara, that must have been beautiful to see.
Karen

Carol Kilgore said...

It's our choice which perspective to use. My goal is to always keep a positive outlook. I sometimes get down, but as soon as I realize I am, I make a conscious effort to find the positive. I've been doing this a while. The more I do it, the quicker I spot if I'm losing focus and the easier it is to reverse and get back on the upbeat road.

Cynthia said...

We often don't know how much someone has struggled before they achieved the success they have today...and just because someone is a success in one area, it doesn't mean that they are a success in other areas.