Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, August 6, 2012

Monday Musings: weekend getaway

Spent a lovely weekend with five other women, celebrating one woman's upcoming nuptials. So different from when we were in our twenties and didn't have a clue as to what was really going on. There is an inner and outer strength which comes with aging--thank goodness--because physical capacity is diminishing at the same time. I wonder if anyone has this core inner strength when they are younger. I certainly didn't. It's hard to describe, but it encompasses a knowingness, a peacefulness, a calmer energy. All I can say is I'm enjoying this sixth decade much more than I thought possible.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Liz Fichera said...

So glad you're finding your peace, Karen. :) And thanks so much for the kind words you've left on my blog following my parents' deaths. xo

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I was a mess when I was a teen and in my twenties. I feel I'm finally getting a handle on life now.

Tracy Jo said...

So awesome you feel that strength and peace. Yeah...I always think I am a late bloomer but maybe nobody feels it at a young age. Have a wonderful day!

Arlee Bird said...

I'm with you on that, Karen. Mentally and emotionally I'm in much better shape than I was when I was in my 20s. Sixties are that bad--I've been having a great time so far, but I wish I had more money so I could do even more. Keep having fun! And keep on growing as a person--we should never stop trying to be better.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like such a happy and meaningful weekend!

L.G.Smith said...

Made a lot of mistakes in my twenties and even my thirties. Some I'm still paying for. I do find as I get older, though, I get more and more comfortable in my own skin. I hope that's a trend that continues. :)

Karen Walker said...

Liz, kind words are all we can offer from a distance when one is going thru such a difficult time. Be well.
Diane, I was a mess for a lot longer than that!
Tracy Jo, yeah, late bloomer - that's me!
Arlee, I hope the financial thing gets better real soon. I know how stressful that must be.
Elizabeth, it was.
L.G. I'm still paying for some of mine as well. In my case, the trend does continue - I hope it will for you also.
Karen

Suze said...

Karen, there is so much to love about this short, substantive post.

Glynis said...

It is good to read you are content, Karen. I am enjoying my 50's, and am much calmer than when in my 40's. Inner peace is certainly worth finding. Enjoy yours. x

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I still don't have a clue what I'm doing but I'm at peace with that!

Jemi Fraser said...

That's awesome! I'm definitely becoming more 'me' too as I get older :)

KarenG said...

Agreed! Hear hear! I second that!

Tonja said...

I wish I had more sense than I did in my twenties.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it's wonderful how we do learn and accept life is life as we get older - my life is about to restart and making the most of what I have left is the essential .. enjoying the time, compassion for others and just being happy with who I am .. so true - enjoy - sounds like things are coming round for you and I'm so pleased.

Cheers Hilary