Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - ripening with age

Who would have thought that I'd feel better about myself at age 63 than I did in my teens, twenties, thirties or forties. But I do. I am in better physical health than ever, despite a painful, arthritic knee. I weigh what I weighted when I was 19 - and that is pretty darn slim. I even put makeup on occasionally.  For those of you who haven't read my memoir, my father called me a "whore" when I put lipstick on for a dance recital when I was six and that made it difficult for me to do anything to my appearance to make me look better. I also struggle with wanting to be "natural." I've always wondered why men don't have to wear makeup to look better? It doesn't seem fair.

Anyway, back to my topic - ripening with age. That's how I feel--as if I am ripening, like an avocado or a peach.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I feel better about myself now as well. I'm not as thin as I was at that age, but it's all muscle and in better shape now. And mentally I'm in a much better place.
Women don't have to wear makeup either! My wife looks just as beautiful when she doesn't wear makeup.

Suze said...

'I've always wondered why men don't have to wear makeup to look better? It doesn't seem fair.'

Hear, HEAR! :)

Tonja said...

I definitely like myself more the older I get. I agree with you on makeup. I feel the same way about heels.

L.G.Smith said...

Er, well, I do feel better emotionally. Certainly I have more confidence. Still coming to terms with the wrinkles though. And make-up doesn't help those. :P

Karen Walker said...

Alex, my hubby doesn't even notice if I'm wearing makeup or not - he thinks I'm beautiful no matter what. What a guy!
Suze, LOL
Tonja - heels - I could never wear those - even in my 20's.
L.G. You're so right. A Native American elder once told me the wrinkles on his face were all his life's journeys and he was proud of them. Made me feel much better about mine.
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

I'm not very fond of make-up for everyday use. My wife uses very little if any and that's fine with me. Make up is okay for clowns and special movie effects and the like, but for people everyday not so much.

Rather than ripe, I'd prefer myself to be aged like a fine wine.


Lee
Wrote By Rote

Talli Roland said...

You weigh what you did when you were 19? Wow! I'm impressed.

Well, I'm definitely ripening...

Anne Mackle said...

Yes I agree with you ,I think you care less what other people think and please yourself more the older you are. I wear a little make up just enough to hide the lines. You're doing well if you're the same age you are when you were nineteen.You go girl!

Liz Fichera said...

The older I get, the less I care what other people think of me. I hope that is "ripening." :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Yeah, I suppose I have ripened with age. May not look as good as I did years ago, but I'm not obsessing about the flaws and "over-ripe" spots, either. It'd kinda nice to be comfortable in my own skin, even if it is a little saggy.

Karen Walker said...

Lee, two men who prefer no make up (3 if we include my hubby).Well,that's enlightening.
Talli, but you have such a good reason!!!
Anne, I now only wear makeup if I'm "dressing up."
Liz, I do think that's ripening.
Susan, it feels so nice to be comfy in my own skin.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I used to wear makeup so I wouldn't look like I was 12 years old. Now I wear it trying to look 12 years old - LOL!

Sharon Lippincott said...

Oh dear -- yesterday I had a peach that was past its prime. Let's go with Arlee's metaphor of fine wine so we don't have to deal with decay!

I had to quit selling Mary Kay Cosmetics in an earlier lifetime because I was in danger of puke when I had to help old ladies with saggy faces choose between green and plum eye shadow when any eye shadow made them look bilious.

Some time ago I stared in amazement at a woman who across the table from me for six weeks in a class we were taking. Her face looked like it had been soaked in formaldehyde. From the chin down she was saggy and creased. Bizarre!

Those of us with white eyebrows need help to look normal, although in general I agree about skipping the makeup (except for glam occasions or stage appearances.) Like hair color, we each have to do what we have to do to feel confident and healthy.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, this made me laugh out loud.
Sharon, oh dear, oh dear. And yes, I have a lot of white in my eyebrows - I now pencil.
Karen

Jen Chandler said...

Sorry to have been away for so long! I always leave your blog feeling better about myself and inspired about the future. Seriously!

I am much more comfortable in my skin in my 30s than I ever was at an earlier age. Most of my friends found it odd that I was super excited to turn 30. I was so ready to say goodbye to the 20s. Now that I'm half way through them, I'm really looking forward to 40!

The best is yet to come!
Cheers,
Jen

Kari Marie White said...

My 30s were the best years of my life, so as I approach my 40s, I can only hope that things will continue to get better.

I'm lucky to have family members who celebrate their age rather than dread it. They have helped shape how I approach aging in general. And, there's something to be said about only being as old as you feel.

Sue said...

Hi, my first visit. I understand everything you wrote. I feel a lot better now than in my twenties, even though now I have a chronic disease and chronic pain. Funny how our perspective works. It is more how we feel inside than how we look on the outside.

I weigh nearly 50 pounds more than I ever weighed as a young adult. Prednisone puts weight on you very easily and quickly. It is the one thing I regret ever doing--following that doctor's advice and taking that medicine.

Thanks for writing your post. I do not normally open up like this, especially on the web.