Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, August 3, 2012

The important things in life

I used to think one of the most important things in life was for me to complete my to-do list each day. Now I know better. It serves more as a guideline and a way for me to remember what it is I want or need to do. But it's much more important for me to be fully present and available, both to myself and others. This week, for example, one dear friend needed help moving. Another one needed to be brought to the doctor. And I needed to re-group after Sugartime's house concert last Sunday. So my to-do list went out the window.

Can you let go of your list and just be?
Blessings,
Karen

19 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

I try to get things done and a list does help, but that has to do with the fact that I am over-organised (quote from my husband) :)))

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Heck yes! I can ignore the list for days.

KarenG said...

I give up a to do list so easily it's scary. Usually though I find when something else comes up, I can squeeze it in and still get everything done. I love those days!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I tend to live by my list, so being flexible is hard for me! I'm working on it. :)

Tonja said...

I'm a Covey follower - the only things that should be at the top of your list are the ones that support your values and your mission in life. The others belong at the bottom and are optional. And that's why my house is a mess. :)

Karen Walker said...

Claudia, my friends might say the same about me
Alex, teach me how!
Karen, I seem not able to do that anymore
Elizabeth, with your schedule, I'd lose my mind without a list.
Tonja, LOL
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

I keep meaning to start putting together a list to help me organize better but I never get the list done. Guess I start the day by throwing the list out the window. But like you, I'm sure the list would often fall by the wayside.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Amy Jarecki said...

I love to let my ta-do list fall by the wayside...but when I do that nothing gets done. I guess there must be a balance.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Definitely--but I like HAVING a list anyway. It helps to know it's there even though I don't need to get to it immediately. :)

Gene Bodzin said...

At a certain age, it is important to have a list because that at least points to some forward direction in life. You realize that not everything will get done, at or it won't get done by you, and you will probably leave some imperfections on earth when you go, but at least you can continue have the desire to strive toward improvement, either in yourself or in the world around you.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

My to-do list today is very short - thank God!

Mason Canyon said...

It's nice to know I'm not the only one that starts out with a to-do list but never seems to get it completed. You're so right about much more important things in life. Have a great weekend.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

The older I get, the less I worry about making to-do lists. The important things, I usually remember. The less important are ... well, less important. There's got to be room for the unexpected and the needs of other people built into those unwritten to-do lists. Thank you so much for the kind comment regarding my mother-in-law's death. I truly appreciate it.

Helen Ginger said...

Like you, I've become more flexible. I used to start each day with a long to-do list. I'd mark each thing off as I did it. I'm actually working on being less anal. Less organized. I admit, I'm not getting as much done as before, but I feel better.

Pk Hrezo said...

Well, I can... but then nothing gets done. lol.
Actually, I've been so overwhelmed this summer and realized I've taken on far too much. Luckily, I'm going on vacation in a week. ;) Aloha!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Stephanie said...

I'll have to work on that. I have a very poor memory, and the things on my to do list are pretty high priority. Certain things I'll happily let go, but failing to turn my lesson plans in on time could mean risking my job.

Maybe when I get more settled at work, and those tasks become second nature and I can forgo the strict list.

Aleta said...

I love lists. I'm a big To Do List person, helps to keep me focused, but if I don't complete it, the things still left to do go on the next day.

But.. things are changing for me. I just found out that I'm pregnant, when a year and a half ago, my doctor said I had only 2 percent chance of getting pregnant.

I'm super tired, no energy... and the list will have to wait. :)

Jake Austria said...

your blog is great contribution for entire blogosphere,
I follow you now and my pleasure if you join us too http://jakesprinter.blogspot.com/