Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, August 24, 2012

Writing and my mood

I have some good news for a change. I have 90 pages written on my novel (28,000 words). Yikes. Since it feels like I've been pulling teeth practically the whole time, this says a lot. I can probably safely say I'm almost halfway done. Like with most things in my life that have been worthwhile, I am doing this kicking and screaming the whole way. It's hard. One of the hardest things I've ever done. I have no idea if anyone will want to read it, and frankly, at this point I don't really care. I just need to write it. That's it. That's all I'm focusing on. This is what following the whispers is all about. Following the whisperings of my heart and my spirit.

Do you listen to those messages when it's something really difficult and you don't want to do it?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

That's fabulous news, Karen! I still haven't written much since we spoke in Athens! :(

kenAnahora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kenAnahora said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Claudia Moser said...

That sounds like super mega great news! Happy for you, looking forward to read this book too!

Gene Bodzin said...

Karen, I feel more of a kinship every time I read one of your observations. I could not shop for an agent until I had finally let go of my book, convinced it had the best writing I could do. Nothing could take my achievement away -- no critic, no rejection. Only you know what you are going through, and when your novel is finished only you will have a real sense of what you have done. It will be your time, your sweat, your life, on the page. I am with you, and so are many others. Keep it up.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you have so much of your novel done!
And I have to force myself to get through that first draft. After that, the fun begins.

Tonja said...

That's wonderful you got so much done. I want to read it. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Karen, that's wonderful!

Suze said...

I want to read it, Karen. I have faith in what's inside you.

Karen Walker said...

You all just take my breath away. Literally and figuratively. It really is possible to love those you've never met (and Suze, those, we have met as well).
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

Great progress. I wish I could say I've done the same but right now I've just been standing at the edge of the pool getting ready to jump back in.

Keep up the great effort, Karen.


Lee
Tossing It Out

L.G.Smith said...

Half way is pretty good! And for the record, writing is always hard. If it were easy everyone would be a published author. :))

Karen Walker said...

Arlee, come on in, the water's fine.
L.G. yeah, thanks for the reminder
karen

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Good for you! I have no doubt that LOTS of people will want to read what write, but the most important part of the equation is for you to first wrench those words from inside you and put them on paper. (screen?) And you're half-way there.

Carol Kilgore said...

Sometimes it's really difficult to get those first words down. Do it in whatever way works for you :)

Happy Weekend!

Pk Hrezo said...

Kicking and screaming all the way. I'm good at ignoring whispers, but eventually, I succomb to them.
Good for you and your progress!!! :)

Helen Ginger said...

Karen, I really think you're doing it the "right" way. Writing because you need to and following your heart and soul ... it sounds like you'll end up with a book well worth reading.

When something is really difficult and I don't want to do it, I tend to step away from my computer. If I simply MUST return and continue, then I know I have to finish, no matter what.