Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, September 28, 2012

milestones

Our lives are marked by milestones. First, we celebrate walking and talking. Then when we finally reach double digits. High School Graduation. Driving. Our first car. College. Our first date/kiss. Our first job. Voting. Engagement. Marriage. Children. Retirement. Grandchildren.

Along the way, we celebrate others' milestones as well. Weddings, birthdays, and funerals. This week I will attend a friend's wedding, both in their 60s. And my 97-year-old aunt tells me her days are numbered. I tell her all our days are numbered. We just don't know how many numbers we have left. She laughed.

So today, I want to acknowledge milestones in our lives. My next one, I hope, will be a completed first draft of my first novel.

What's yours?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Anne Mackle said...

Your first novel? Woh! what a milestone.My last milestone was a year ago, the birth of my first grandchild, a girl. Hope my next will be grandchild number two.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

What a great milestone for you Karen.
Good luck with it.

Yvonne.

Suze said...

Looking forward to hearing all about your progress on the novel next week over coffee. Hopefully, they won't be advertising autumn drinks they're not prepared to serve. ;)

Have a great weekend, Karen.

KarenG said...

I'd love to have a first draft on a novel right now. Not sure that'll happen this year. Two days ago we shared in a milestone-- a son's first child and our 11th grandchild.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Getting married in their 60's - how sweet!

Finish that book!

Tonja said...

Firsts are the best, although my second wedding was better. My daughter got her driver's license this week.

L.G.Smith said...

My next big milestone will either be turning fifty in May or getting this novel finished, whichever comes first...hopefully the novel. Gah, this one has been tough.

LD Masterson said...

Well, I've got a short story coming out before the end of the year in an anthology. It will be by first, real, available on Amazon, published story. I guess that will be my next milestone.

Karen Walker said...

ooh, I'm loving hearing about your milestones.
Anne, I can't imagine what it feels like to have a grandchild.
Yvonne, thanks
Suze, me, too
KarenG, 11 grandkids - yikes!
Diane, it is. AND I WILL.
Tonja, how sweet
LG, sigh!
LD, congratulations - that's wonderful.
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

I'm looking forward to your novel--and mine. Those will be wonderful milestones of achievement.

Lee
Wrote By Rote

Liz Fichera said...

I've had some big milestones this year, both good and bad. Looking forward to a big (happy) milestone in January.