Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 24, 2012

Monday Musings: back in the saddle

I've had my three hyuralaunic knee injections and will once again attempted to folk dance to see if tremendous pain followed. I did only 4 or 5 dances, took Alleve and iced my knee when I got home.  If I can folk dance without pain, I can stave off a total knee replacement. If I can't, I have to decide whether to wait as long as possible to have my knee replaced or get it over with and try to do something I love very much. It's a tough decision because my knee doesn't hurt too badly if I don't folk dance. But hubs and I love dancing together and we've both missed it so much. On Sunday, my knee felt no worse then it had before I danced on Saturday nite. Keep your fingers crossed for me, okay?

How about you? Have you had to give up anything because of physical issues?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Alleve is wonderful, isn't it?

My new SUV is an automatic, the first I've ever owned, and not having to press the clutch has really helped my left knee.

L.G.Smith said...

If your knee is keeping you from doing something you love to do then maybe it's time for surgery. I'm waiting for a back replacement. Ugh. :P

Karen Walker said...

Diane, yeah, I have trouble driving hubby's car for same reason.
L.G. LOL
karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Tough choice. Hate to miss out on something I enjoyed because of pain though.

Arlee Bird said...

It's good that you keep trying and not giving up completely. Thank goodness my legs have been holding up okay as I like to walk. Can't do too much strenuous activity due to my heart.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Suze said...

I've had to rethink running because of my heels -- the last time I went, over three weeks ago, now, I seriously injured myself and even now am feeling a bit of stabbing in my left heel. I am focusing on yoga as a result.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yeah, it is tough
Arlee, sorry - didn't know about your heart
Suze, oh, that's too bad - yoga is wonderful, though
Karen

LD Masterson said...

I enjoyed jogging but the knees can't take it anymore. Glad you're back on the dance floor.

Tonja said...

The list of what I can't do now is pretty long. The thing that brought a tear to my eye is the moment I realized I will never ever ride a roller coaster again. It was one of my favorite thing to do with my kids. My little guy told me maybe I can take him next year. :(

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

My wife's needed to use crutches or a wheelchair to get around since she was 10. Before that she did ballet. One of my favourite of her stories is how she was told she'd never walk again, took this as a challenge, then 6 months later kicked a physiotherapist across the room.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Oh Karen I do feel sorry for you, hope all goes well.
I did have shoulder injections but since June I was told I have had my lot for the year so have to soldier on with the pain but is having thearapy twice aweek.
Take care.
Yvonne.

Julie said...

I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you. :)

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Wow, that's a tough decision, but you're too young to have to give up something you and your husband enjoy, especially when the doctors can DO something about your knees. Go for it, girl!

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it's going with your intuition isn't it - sounds like dancing with hubby is number one, when that gets challenging then the knees deserve a rethink ..

Good luck and enjoy that dancing .. cheers Hilary