Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday Musings: celebrating life

Labor Day is meant to honor all the work we do all year long (at least I think that's what it is. I didn't take the time to research - my bad!). But today I want to honor all we do in our lives. The things that make life worth living. Work is something we need to do to provide the things we need to live. If we're lucky, we love what we do as work. Many people don't. I'm one of the lucky ones. I loved what I did before I became a writer and now that I'm a retired person who writes, I love that, too.

This weekend I practiced with my singing trio. This month we have several pretty big gigs. Tonight we're singing at a retirement community for about 70 people. On the 17th we're singing at the State Fair. We'll be singing at an annual meeting of retired nurses on the 20th. Plus several smaller venues in between. Aren't I lucky?

We also spent time with friends at an annual Labor Day pool party. There is nothing richer than hanging out with good friends, talking, laughing, swimming, eating, drinking. Aren't I lucky?

Tell me how you celebrate life and the ways in which you are lucky.
Blessings,
Karen

9 comments:

KarenG said...

Sounds like you're having a nice weekend. Mine has been strange but also nice. Only in a strange way. And now I must go get ready for work on Labor Day lol.

Suze said...

Best of luck with your upcoming gigs -- lucky girl! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Singing at the state fair? That is awesome!
I do enjoy what I do, but I work to live, not live to work.

Karen Walker said...

Well now, Karen, you've got my curiosity aroused.
Suze, thanks, sweetie.
Alex, yes yes yes - work to live not live to work!!
Karen

Pk Hrezo said...

You are lucky, Karen!
I feel lucky every time my family gets to do things together. I feel lucky to have a house and food on the table. I've been many places where many people dont even have that. So I try to remember the simple things that we are blessed with.
Have a great Labor Day! ANd good luck with your gigs!

~Sia McKye~ said...

Labor Day, isn't that what I did last oh, say 17 years ago when I brought forth son? Lol!

Seriously, I'm always thankful for the blessings I receive.

Singing at the State Fair is very cool. Singing is one of those things you give thanks for. O course, it brings you joy and much as the joy you give others. Enjoy it!
Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I'm gonna buck the crowd and say, no, you are NOT "lucky". Who was it? I think it was Thomas Jefferson, (but I'm not gonna stop right now to verify) who said something along the lines of, "The harder I work, the luckier I get." It's the hard work you've done with your singing pals.... practicing, practicing, and practicing some more... that's landed your group these gigs. And it's all the work you've put into self-discovery and growth, and all the honesty and caring you bring to your relationships with others that's led to so many good friendships. Lucky? Okay, so maybe a little bit. But I'd call it more a case of being "blessed", and reaping the fruits of your own labor. You earned it, kiddo!

Tonja said...

Ironically, I'm spending the day power cleaning the house so I can start back to writing this week without having to worry about it. I'm starting a new novel. And I'm feeling lucky about that.

Jess * Jessie * Jessy said...

What fun! I wish I could sing!