Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday Musings: plastic surgery and aging

Friday night I had dinner with two girlfriends. We are all in our sixties. Somehow the topic came around to plastic surgery and we all admitted we'd fantasized about doing it and looking younger. But each of us said that we'd also realized that if we did one thing - say a facelift - the rest of our body would still drip and sag, so would we then have to do another procedure and another. And what about when a procedure wears off, do you do it again. And when do you stop.

Finally, I said I guess we just have to stop chasing after beauty and accept aging gracefully. We all agreed that was the way to go, even if we go kicking and screaming the whole way.

Here's something to help us laugh about it.

Video:
Pultizer Prize-winning cartoonist Walt Handelsman begins a series of 'Toons about the vicissitudes of aging, and the need for keeping our sense of humor during the process. Laugh along with him, and share these with your friends.
http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid67524056001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAjHM3KE~,ue6IyhgccnQfCR9niUq7SpiGuvtClfZX&bclid=0&bctid=1799012627001


What do you think?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I would love to get rid of some of my tummy, but apart from that I'm happy with how I am.

Great to be back, if you can't get my blog my IE IS PLAYING UP.
Take care.
Yvonne.

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

I think getting older is a privilege - not everyone gets there... We should take the advantages - such as more balanced view of life, wisdom ( hopefully) less pressure to compete and generaly able to take life a little easier - and go with the flow! Having daid that there is nothing wrong with wanting to make the best of yourself - just don't go over the top!!

L.G.Smith said...

Ha! Cute cartoon. I may have to start using sticky notes myself to remember what I went looking for in a room.

And I would love a neck lift. That's all I want. Blah.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just age gracefully and naturally! By a certain age, it's easy to spot the women who've had work done because they no longer look natural.

Andrea Franco-Cook said...

Enjoyed the cartoon. Aging is a part of life. The best I can hope for is to do so gracefully. As always, great post, Karen.

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, that's wonderful. So nice to see you here again. Missed you.
Pat, I like that way of perceiving aging - as a privilege.
LG. yeah, that's where I'd start as well - my neck.
Alex, you are so wise.
Andrea, thanks
karen

Arlee Bird said...

I already look so young that I don't think I need plastic surgery for that. When I buy alcohol I'm often asked to show my ID. Isn't it kind of weird when a 61 year old guy is asked to prove he's old enough to buy alcohol?


Lee
Wrote By Rote

Karen Walker said...

Yes, Arlee Bird, it is weird
karen

Arlee Bird said...

Lest anyone take my previous comment the wrong way, I also am automatically offered the senior discount when a business has it. Talk about mixed messages. Yesterday I asked my wife why I look so much younger than other people my age. She replied, "You don't."

Karen, you have just inspired a future blog post. Thank you.


Lee
Wrote By Rote

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Oh, the temptation is there, but I feel like I can always tell when folks get work done...they don't look like themselves anymore! I've got some white hair popping up, but haven't the time to do anything about it....so I guess I'll live with it. :)

Karen Walker said...

ARlee, LOL
Elizabeth, oh you are way too young and beautiful to even think about it
karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm still giggling at Lee's comments! It's been a while since I was carded, but it still happens. I'm in my mid-40's, so it just tickles me.
Tummy tuck maybe, but everything else I'm just letting go.

Elizabeth Seckman said...

I'm all for aging gracefully, but still dream of a miracle fix. I can't get over it!

Joanne Haagenson said...

A few years ago, because of back problems, I was able to get a breast reduction. (Sure, Jo, just tell THAT to the internet.) It was great... my backpain is gone. But, I would be a BIG FAT LIAR if I said that I was not thrilled that the whole "reduction" thing came with a "lift" thing. Perky boobs are awesome. :)

Jo
In Which We Start Anew

Anonymous said...

This site was... how do I say it? Relevant!! Finally I've found something which helped me. Kudos!

my website; LED Lighting

Anonymous said...

Howdy, I do think your site might be having web browser compatibility issues.
Whenever I look at your website in Safari, it looks fine however
when opening in IE, it's got some overlapping issues. I simply wanted to give you a quick heads up! Aside from that, wonderful site!

my weblog personal injury attorney