Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - posse

I have a dear friend, MA, who is going to be 91 years young in November. She doesn't have any near relatives who are capable of helping her as aging issues begin to affect her life. Since she is someone I consider to be my guardian angel, I am one of several other women who are there for her when she needs it.

Several weeks ago we all met at her attorney's office to find out what each of us is responsible for legally as personal representatives or health care representatives. The lawyer said she considered us all MA's posse and that MA was the sheriff. It is a brilliant concept, because many of us tend to "take charge" of our elders, forgetting that even though they are slower and might not be able to do the same things they always did, they are still present and, if they have all their mental faculties, still capable of making decisions for themselves. It keeps us, her friends, in line and with a proper perspective.

I am beginning to think about who I would want on my posse when I get to that point.
How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Great post Karen and thought provoking also.


Still having problems with Internet Explorer.

Yvonne.

Liz Fichera said...

After the year my family has had, the notion of legal/medical advocates has never been more important. Better to think about it while you still have your faculties. And bravo to MA! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your friend is wise. Not sure who'd be on my posse.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Something WE ALL need to think about.

Scary really, especially when one has little to no family.

Thank GOD for our extended family, the people who enter our lives who love and care for no reason except for the fact the want to.

The past few years I have been around aging people and it is such a reality check. What to do when I get that age.

Thanks Karen...

Patricia Stoltey said...

My mom is 93 and, like MA, perfectly able to make her own decisions even though she needs a lot of help with physical activities, getting to appointments, etc. She has kids and grandkids in her posse, but it would be pretty hard to stay in her own apartment without that help. MA is very lucky to have made such good friends over the years. I hope I have a good posse if/when I need it.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - such an interesting post having just lost my mother - but like MA having no extended family around me ... I'll have to start thinking seriously along her thoughts.

I have given it some glancing thoughts - but this has set me thinking again for the future ...

It's great you are helping her out - but that she's still in charge ... even my stroked bed-ridden mother put 'her foot down' occasionally - completely took me by surprise! I laugh about it now - but it was a 'shock'!!

Cheers Hilary

Sharon Lippincott said...

Your friend is so wise to appoint her posse now and make sure her papers are in order. We did that thirty years sooner, because who knows? A dear friend just lost her father a couple of weeks after his 100th birthday party. He's been "meaning to" change his will, authorize the various Powers of Attorney, etc. for the dozen years I've known her. He died without doing any of that and caused her considerable inconvenience taking care of things while he was critically ill. Don't let that happen! Get those papers in order NOW!

Suze said...

I think the concept of a posse is brilliant, Karen. I wouldn't completely understand why without your articulation. Very nicely done.

Arlee Bird said...

Right now I feel like the Lone Ranger and even Tonto is on vacation. I need a posse.


Lee
Tossing It Out

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I think my posse surrendered.