Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, October 15, 2012

Monday Musings - hanging out with friends

My husband grew up in a small town in the Texas Panhandle. I grew up in New York City. There are other major differences, but that's for another post another day. Today's post is about old friends. Hubby has a good friend whom he has known since they were one. At our wedding, this friend said they've known each other since they were in swaddling clothes. That is mind boggling to me. This weekend, that childhood friend came to stay with us.

I guess I have been in so many relationships and moved so many times and changed locales so often (New York to Portland Oregon to Albuquerque NM) that I didn't maintain connections. The friends I have now that I am still close with, I've known for, at most, 28 years. I am in touch with one childhood friend, whom I re-connected with thru Classmates.com, but we are not close.

There is something so wonderful about being with people whom you have shared childhood memories with. Someone who has seen you through many life events, whether tragic or joyful. It's made me want to re-connect with my first cousins, whom I've kind of lost track of.

My friends now really know me well. They understand and "get" me. Those are the kind of folks I want around me. Ones I don't have to worry what I say and what I do. They're love for me won't change.

How about you? Do you have childhood friends still in your life today? Tell me how you feel about whether you do or don't.
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Yes, I do, I know some of them more than 30 years now and with some I am still very closely connected. The relationship is indeed special, since they know things which are not so obvious :) I cherish them dearly!

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I have friends who I have known for over 25 years. We live miles away but know should we need to talk we're only the other end of the phone.

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I still keep in touch with a couple from high school, but we've gone our separate ways and live very different lives now.
Probably my closest friends from childhood are my parents.

Lynn said...

I have a childhood friend I have known since I was three years old. Although I moved provinces away from her when I was 14, we still kept in touch. Now we do not see each other often however, when we do get together it is like we never had time a apart. She is a true treasure.

LD Masterson said...

Sadly, I've lost touch with all of my childhood/high school friends. We move a lot when I was a kid so friendships were always transient at best. Luckily, I am close to my brother so we can share our memories of growing up.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'd like to be in closer contact with some of my childhood friends. But I've still got a very close friend from college. :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

I'm in touch with two friends from grade school, and we try to get together each time I go back to Illinois to visit family. I'm also in touch with a dozen or so high school friends, mostly because we recently gathered for our 50th reunion. None of the are as close, however, as the friend I made in Indiana when I lived there. We met in late 1969, and I consider her my dearest friend, the one I would tell anything (and vice versa).

Most of my today friends are those I met through my critique group and through Northern Colorado Writers. I love them all dearly.

Libby said...

Nope. Most of my friends are recent, last 10 years or so. I'm cool with it, but often wonder about people that have had close friends for years.

Karen Walker said...

This is so interesting - a real mix of old and new friendships. I think the important thing is the connections we make with those we come in contact with.
Karen

Liz Fichera said...

Thanks to Facebook, I've reconnected with a lot of childhood friends (one of the social media benefits). I've also heard from people that I never expected to hear from again,ever, so that is strange too.