Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, October 8, 2012

Monday Musings: Light at the end of the tunnel

The novel I am writing has three parts. I have completed the first two and am now working on the third section. When I say completed, let me clarify. It is bare bones, people. When I finish this last part, I will probably have, maybe 50,000 words if I'm lucky. I will have to go back and flush the story out, adding craft techniques, etc. But I'm not worried about that. I am just so grateful this story is emerging out of the depths of my soul and the magic of the universe. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get it down and make it into something I hope others will want to read. There were days when I thought I'd remain stuck in the darkness forever. It is lovely to see the light at the end of the proverbial tunnel.

How about you?
Where are you on your projects?
Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Karen, that's wonderful! Congratulations on making great progress!!

Oh, my first drafts are frequently 40-50k. No worries about that. Easy to add words--harder to edit them out for overwriters.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's good to hear! And don't worry - I write bare bones as well.

L.G.Smith said...

Yay, congrats on your progress! You're almost there.

I'm not quite at the point where I can see daylight yet, but every day is another step closer. I tend to write long fantasy novels, so I have to just put my head down and plug along as best I can day after day until I'm done. It's a slog.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, that's really good to know - I have no idea what it's like for other writers
Alex, thank you for sharing that - makes me feel bunches better
LG. Thanks, yes slog is a good word
Karen

Jack said...

I like those days. I hate the bare bone writing part. Everything looks like a mess, I wonder how it will ever amount to anything, and it looks like a disaster waiting to happen. But fleshing out, that is one of the best parts about writing, at least, I've found it to be so with my latest book.

I hope your fleshing out is a lot of fun and holds all kinds of exciting twists and turns in it the characters never told you exist.

Allons-y!

David P. King said...

Great news! Keep flowing those words out. You're almost there. And thanks for joining my blog. I gave you a Shout-Out today. :)

Patricia Stoltey said...

Hi Karen, congratulations on your bare bones draft...I love that stage of writing when we know we have a story worth moving on to the revision stage. I found NaNoWriMo a wonderful way to pound out 50,000 words in a hurry last year and plan to try it again this year.

I've responded to your comment on my blog post today...and no, it wasn't your blog that triggered my topic of the day. Even though you share a lot of personal information with us, I never feel uncomfortable here. As a matter of fact, I'd like to sit down and stay for a while and have a good chat over a cup of coffee. :D

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I knew it would happen for you.

Arlee Bird said...

Great to hear that your almost on the other side of the tunnel. Soon you'll be like a commuter who goes through that tunnel every day and knows every nuance from beginning to end. Glad you're doing well with your novel, I'm still not doing what I need to be doing--I just adding new projects to my workload.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Linda Jackson said...

Good job, Karen. I'm just about to enter a tunnel. A long one.

Tonja said...

That's great! Congratulations! I believe in celebrating when each section is done - even a first draft. :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

I love the feeling of getting to the end of a first draft. The second draft is always my favourite. But at the moment I'm probably a third of the way through my first draft - so there's no light for me at the moment.

Pk Hrezo said...

I always call my first draft the skeleton too. Then thru mass revisions I create the heart and soul. It's hard work, aint it? lol
I heard someone once say a truly good story takes about a year. the more I write, the more I'm beginning to believe that.