Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, October 1, 2012

Monday Musings - prioritizing to do lists

I have always been a compulsive list maker. I now have a notebook just for my list. I write the first one. Then as I begin to cross things off and add to it, it gets messy, so I re-write it on the next page and so on and so on. But I read somewhere over the weekend that it's easy to get caught up in getting your to-do list done, but it doesn't necessarily mean you are being productive. What makes you productive is creating categories for your to-do list to ensure you get the most important things done before everything else. I love this.

How about you?
Karen

12 comments:

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

I am good at making list for things to do but equally as good at losing the list.

Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'll make a daily to-do list, but I've never broken it down into sections.

Tonja said...

That's a Stephen Covey (The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People) philosophy I love. We should spend most of our time and energy doing things that are important to us.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I just make sure there are only a couple items on my list so I can finish.

Suze said...

Hmm, I've never been the type to make lists. I do have a Windows calendar in which I enter all of my upcoming events. It has reminder options -- eminently helpful.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I use my head .. but I suspect (now) I need to start being more organised - I get everything done .... even my diary!!

But I was taught to categorise and section everything ... sounds sensible if you've got goals within a project to complete!

Good luck .. cheers Hilary

Jennifer Shirk said...

YES! I'm a list maker too. I organize by "Home", "Writing", "Church" and "Calls to make" :-)

Jemi Fraser said...

I'm not a listmaker, but everyone else in my family is! The MC in my latest wip is compulsive about her lists - and she's got different notebooks for different lists! :)

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, Ha!
Diane, me either - think I'm going to try it.
Tonja, yes, I'm very aware of not wanting to waste a single moment
Alex, smart man - setting yourself up to succeed.
Suze, sounds like
Hilary, cheers right back!
Jennifer, definitely going to try it
Jemi, was it difficult getting inside MC's head if you don't do that?
Karen

Arlee Bird said...

I was thinking of this very early this morning when I couldn't sleep. I keep meaning to make a list--or perhaps schedule my time. If I got more done during the day and became more efficient, perhaps I'd sleep better.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Carol Kilgore said...

I'm a list maker, and I love crossing things off. I usually list everything, then assign them a 1,2 or 3. I'll always start with the ones, but sometimes I cheat and do a small/short other item no matter the number if I need a break from the ones.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I don't usually make lists, other than when I'm going to the grocery store, but if I'm having too much trouble falling asleep because my head is buzzing with all the things I want/have to do the next day, it's worth it to get out of bed and write the stuff down on paper. Not because I'd necessarily forget them if I didn't but because that gives my brain "permission" to let go of it. Then I can sleep.