Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, October 19, 2012

Off to the Pacific Northwest

In 1994, I sold everything I owned, except my computer and personal photos and journals and moved to Albuquerque, NM from Portland, Oregon. I left because I was getting yet another divorce and didn't think I could heal if I stayed there. You'll have to read my memoir to find out why!

I loved Portland, Oregon. I love the Pacific Northwest. I consider it my "spiritual home." I will be going back for a visit and will be gone till all next week, so I won't be posting or visiting. I'm actually seeing this as a vacation from everything - including writing.

So, be well, don't forget me and I'll leave you with this thought:

What you think of me is none of my business. Think about it - it has changed my life to let go of what others think of me.
How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!

L.G.Smith said...

Enjoy your trip to the northwest. Wishing you good weather. :)

Tonja said...

I think I'd love New Mexico and Portland. One of these days I'm going to pile my kids in the car and go on a long road trip.

Mason Canyon said...

Hope you have a wonderful and safe trip. May each day be an exciting new adventure.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Enjoy yourself! And dress warm. I was there recently and it was rather chilly.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Alex,
L.G., keeping my fingers crossed I can see "my" mountain, Mt. Hood.
Tonja, it's pretty magical.
Mason, thanks - love that
Diane, thanks for the hint - I'll do it
Karen

Suze said...

Dear Karen, I am really looking forward to hearing about your trip to beautiful Oregon when you get back, if you decide you want to talk about it. It may be you just want to treasure whatever transpires -- especially if it simply a quiet rest -- in your own heart.

Have an absolutely wonderful time. This is a fantastic time of year to haunt the area of Mt. Hood.

Carol Kilgore said...

Enjoy your trip, Karen. The PNW is on my list of places to visit. I love the parting thought.

Claudia Moser said...

Happy travels!

Pearson Report said...

Have a wonderful visit to your "spiritual home", Karen.

As to your closing paragraph; letting go of what others think about us is the ultimate freedom many of us struggle to acquire. It pleases me greatly that you are at this wonderful place - embrace it.

With happy thoughts,
Jenny

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. glad you're going back - have a peaceful and happy time enjoying the release that can be this world .. Happy vacationing ... cheers Hilary

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

Safe journey Karen. I am just beginning to realise that It don't bother me that much what others think of me. I am what I am.

Yvonne.

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

"What you think of me is none of my business." I love that. I wish they'd teach it to children in school. Save a lot of heartbreak. Happy Travels, Karen.