Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Fall

Fall is my favorite time of the year and the trees are just beginning to turn here in Albuquerque. Further North they've already shifted to the yellows and reds that I love so much. Fall reminds me of a very good part of childhood - the beginning of the school year. I loved buying new notebooks and pens and pencils and crayons. I still buy the notebooks and pens in September. Haven't bought crayons in years. Hmmm....now there's a thought.

Don't you just love new beginnings. A time when the slate is wiped clean and you begin anew. It is an opportunity to leave everything behind. The Jewish new year occurs this time of year and culminates with Yom Kippur, the holiest day in Judaism. Not that I would know much - I never studied the religion I was born into but do not follow. But what I love about Yom Kippur is the concept of recognizing your sins, accepting them, and letting them go. In other words, honoring the fact that you are human. You make mistakes. You can forgive yourself and move on.

That is what Fall means to me.
How about you?
Blessings,
karen

15 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, now I feel really shallow for saying football and cooler weather...

~Sia McKye~ said...

I love October blue skies, the crisp bite in the air, the hint of drifting wood smoke teasing my nose. The colors are fabulous.

Yes, I still buy notebooks and pens and love to see all the school stuff ready to go.

Go buy the crayons, Karen. It's still a lot of fun to color. Hey, when you can find them, there are still some great coloring books out there or grab some paper and draw a fall tree or landscape--high desert has some great contrasts. Who says it has to be great art work? Just enjoy what you can do. :-)

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Tonja said...

I know fall is supposed to be a sign everything is about to die, but it seems like new beginnings to me. If I was in charge of the calendar, I'd start it in September.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, it is not shallow to love football and cooler weather!
Sia, I just might do that although even my stick figures are just awful.
Tonja, I agree
Karen

L.G.Smith said...

Fall is magical. The colors, the scent of leaves, the crisp air. It really is a time of renewal. I love it. Plus I get to pull out all the great scarves and sweaters I've had stowed away all summer.

KarenG said...

I enjoy it as long as the snow and cold weather doesn't come too early.

Susan Roebuck said...

I love the Fall (Autumn for me) because I live in a hot country but don't enjoy being in the heat at all. I love getting into comfy warm clothes. I didn't know that about Yom Kippur and recognizing your sins but it makes perfect sense to me.

Liz Fichera said...

I love Fall too, Karen. I am currently in the Midwest, enjoying the autumn colors. Looking forward to new beginnings after a very tough year. xo

Tamara said...

We don't get too much of a fall down in GA and, being from PA, I REALLY miss it. It was always my favorite season. Right now I'm up visiting my sister, so I'm getting my first taste of fall in five years.

I love the way it smells like leaves and firewood. The pumpkins and ghosties that haunt October. The way the air feels like winter at night. How bright the stars get. The autumn moon. How the leaves look like bright hand prints against the sky.

Pk Hrezo said...

That's a lovely sentiment. It really is important to forgive ourselves. If God can forgive us, we should be able to do it too.
This is my fave time of year too. I love the fall!

Arlee Bird said...

I with you about fall. I too used to like the excitement of the new school year with all the new supplies. Those were fun times filled with so much promise for the future.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Peggy Eddleman said...

I love fall! And all it's pretty colors! (It's not shallow to say it's because I love my fall decorations in my living room the best, is it? I mean if football and cooler weather isn't...;))

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. you've made a good point about the Jewish faith .. recognising our sins, accepting them and letting them go. We are all human aren't we ...

Fall to me brings back memories of childhood .. rustly walks, mists, harvesting veg and fruits ... smell of the bonfires ..

New beginnings I'll drink to that! Cheers Hilary

Talli Roland said...

I love autumn, too. It's so cosy with the dark nights closing in.I love curling up on the sofa and snuggling with my man!

Jack said...

Buying crayons would be fun. Or chalk and then colouring on the sidewalk.

I love fall, my second favourite season. My favourite fall pastime is to throw on my trench coat and walk through leaf piles. I'd jump in them but the neighbors don't fancy when I do that. Don't know why...

Allons-y!