Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - a new paradigm

Up until I was 20 years old, I was a thin person. I could eat whatever I wanted and never gain an ounce. Then poof! Went on birth control pills. Gained 30 pounds. And, until the last few years, yo-y'd those same 30 plus another 30 pounds. Fast forward to today. I have maintained a 63-pound weight loss and weigh what I weighed at 19.

Now, instead of guilt-ridden meals eating out, worrying about how much salt something has, whether I will gain 2 pounds and how long will it take to lose it, I can eat a meal in a restaurant and just enjoy it. Don't get me wrong. I still have to make wise choices. Otherwise I'll be right back where I was. But there's a little flexibility there. And the guilt is gone.

It is definitely a new paradigm for me, and one I am enjoying very much.
How about you?
Karen

10 comments:

Claudia Moser said...

Smart approach, I agree with you!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

That's such a sensible way of handling it--thoughtfully ordering, but then genuinely enjoying it!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If you eat sensible at other times, eating out should be a guilt-free treat.

L.G.Smith said...

Yeah, those sneaky hormones can really mess with us. I have thyroid issues and so I can gain weight just from smelling fattening food. It's a struggle. But if I go out to eat I try to order the healthiest item on the menu and enjoy. I also indulge in a glass of wine. :)

Suze said...

It sounds like a good place to be, Karen.

Jack said...

Weight loss is hard, I know from experience. But I have heard, as you said, a little guilt free sometimes helps. Just, not too much, as I often do.

Allons-y

Tonja said...

I've just made the decision to be thin again. No guilt, just adding a little bit of daily exercise. It's going to hurt, but less and less every day. :)

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

I was actually a child-chubby, but around age 13 I lost my baby fat. I always have had to be aware though, and to balance calories and exercise. I've gone up and down, but never to really overweight. Oddly on our travels, I lost some weight without trying right off the bat. Since then, I haven't watched WHAT I eat, only how much and I really haven't excerised either, but my body seems happy maintaining a lower weight all on its own. i think something has come into balance - and that's my new paradigm - I haven't thought about calories in 6 months, haven't weighed myself in 6 months, and haven't felt GUILTY about eating something yummy in 6 months, and I'm slimmer than I've been in 10 years... hmmmm...

Arlee Bird said...

Congratulations on the weight loss. I wish I could say the same. It seems like I've cut way back on my eating and I try exercise regularly, but I seem to stay at the same weight, which is good that I'm not gaining, but I wouldn't mind losing 20 or 30 pounds.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Congratulations on your success. I gained 56 pounds over the last three years. I was depressed, so I ate more. Then I was going to the gym and not eating more than 800 calories and I just kept getting bigger and bigger. This year I joined an extreme fitness gym and realized that my extreme calorie control caused my body to save everything I ate. My doctor kept telling me this and I thought she was nuts. So now I'm trying to eat between 1000 and 1500 calories a day and I've finally stopped gaining and started losing weight. I'm down about 10 pounds. :)