Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Telling the truth Tuesday - oops

Got up this morning and realized I'd forgotten to write a post for today. Oops. So,what is my truth today? I'm taking care of all sorts of things, important things, that I've put off because they are difficult. Things like appointments with attorneys for wills, health care directives, living wills, etc. All of these things are taking time and energy and, alas, no writing this past week. I've come to accept when this happens because now I know that it doesn't matter how long I stay away from my story. When I come back to it, my Muse will still be there for me.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Sharon Lippincott said...

Truth day? I'm celebrating my last day of teaching for this term. This one has been unusually stressful. Time for a vacation!

Good for you, Karen, for getting those documents in order. That matters. A friend's father died with good intentions about all the loose ends he left. Talk about STRESS!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Stuff like that is such a time suck!

L.G.Smith said...

Life happens even when we write novels. :P

It's true the work will be there when you finish up with all your real life stuff. I've missed several days of writing before because of appointments or whatever, but the story always comes back when I sit down at the computer again.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Oh, good attitude. Sometimes, taking care of those things frees up some mind space. Not doing them can be just as distracting!

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Sometimes I'm fresher when I come back from a break.

Karen Walker said...

Sharon, sorry it was so difficult, but that's a wonderful thing to celebrate, now that it's over.
Alex, it sure is.
L.G. love that line - life happens even when we write novels.
Mary, I'm hoping that's what will happen.
Elizabeth, yes, me, too
Karen

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

My truth today I am "letting my family go" and accept the fact I am not wanted by two of my three off springs. By accepting I can get on with my life and not make myself ill waiting for the phone to ring.

Yvonne.

RHYTHM AND RHYME said...

My truth today I am "letting my family go" and accept the fact I am not wanted by two of my three off springs. By accepting I can get on with my life and not make myself ill waiting for the phone to ring.

Yvonne.

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

Truth day, eh? I've manged my 2000 words for today but I have many more jobs to do,,, Maybe somone else will cook for me so I can do a few more words... Life keeps getting in the darn way!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Ooh, sounds like an unfun day.

But yeah, I've accepted that it happens from time to time and you just have to roll with it.

Liz Fichera said...

Those things you mention can certainly zap the energy out of anyone. Take care of yourself, Karen. Return to writing when ready.

Tracy Moore said...

Love your attitude about the muse being there when you get all of this done. Things like this are necessary but time consuming and draining!

My truth right now is that I need to allow myself to rest right now. The year before I moved here was very stressful and the move itself was exhausting...and I need to understand that it is okay for me to feel tired right now.

Pearson Report said...

Hi Karen,

Looks like you and I avoid the same things and are doing something about it.

I've been going through the "revisit" important papers phase and it is draining. Yet...when I finally pour myself into it I'm surprised how gratifying it feels to be tackling it - head on and with eyes wide open.

Great Tuesday Truth topic.
Jenny

Patricia Stoltey said...

I've had a few days of "other things that must be done" as well. I took my Muse with me today and let her whisper in my ear at the grocery, bank, and even the dentist. :D

Jack said...

It is nice of your muse not to go on holiday without you. Mine likes to do that a lot when I'm busy doing other things. I hope you can get everything done.

Allons-y!