Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Insecure Writer's Support Group - November

This post is for the Insecure Writer's Support Group, a creation of Ninja Captain Alex.http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com. Thanks, Alex, for this forum to share our feelings about writing.

Sometimes I wish I wasn't a writer. I would have much less angst. I could just enjoy retirement and not worry about whether I wrote today or yesterday or beat myself up for allowing two weeks to go by without writing a new word on my novel. But then I remember that is part of the process. There are times when the words don't come because my unconscious is working and is not ready to spill forth its wisdom. And if I wasn't a writer, whatever else I'd choose would have its own issues which would, undoubtedly, cause angst as well. So I might as well accept angst as part of my DNA and get on with it.
How about you?
Blessings,
karen

24 comments:

Angeline Trevena said...

Yep; it's true. We are writers not because we choose to be, but because we have to be. Life would be easier, sure, but it wouldn't be half as interesting!

Annalisa Crawford said...

There are several retired ladies living alone near me, and I do find myself looking at them and wondering 'What do you do?'. One does seem to do a lot of laundry!

Writer Pat Newcombe said...

You sound just like me! Angst is the word! I too struggle and sweat for days on end then find I have nothing to say for a week or two!

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'm glad you're writing, Karen!

I do love being a writer--but sometimes I wish being a writer didn't come along with weird baggage: talking to myself, being distracted, and always feeling like I should be writing instead of whatever it is I'm doing!

Vicki Rocho said...

You're not alone. Others can slog through the quiet times, but I find it helps to turn my attention to something else and come back to writing later. Takes a lot longer but I'm it saves a lot of angst!

Karen Walker said...

Angeline, you are so right, easier but not as interesting.
Annalisa, that's funny
Pat, it is a good word, isn't it?
Elizabeth, so true
Vicki, it is so comforting to know I'm not alone.
Karen

Hart Johnson said...

Yeah... I think if it weren't writing, something else would fill up the time. I just am sort of obsessive with whatever hobby I'm doing.

You maybe could use my positivity post today...

sydneyaaliyah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sydneyaaliyah said...

I can sort of relate. There is a constant undercurrent of stress in regards to being a writer. But, I thought it was just me. I do think it is part of the process. If it was simple, what's the post.

M.L. Swift said...

Hey Karen -

Wonderful words! That DNA is some pesky stuff...it keeps us all in angst. Nice meeting you!

Siv Ottem said...

One day at a time, some days are just better than others and you know what? We never know which days those are going to be. Life and writing is like that, all we can do is stumble around the best we can :)

Miranda Hardy said...

I often think about how much easier life would be if I freed up my writing time, but I can't. My passion to get my stories out overrides the lazy path for me.

Keep it up!

cleemckenzie said...

Yep! My life would be so much easier if I didn't write. I didn't know what I was getting into when I started, but now that I'm here, I don't know if I can stop.

Arlee Bird said...

A life of leisurely retirement of doing essentially nothing but relaxing things sounds good, but it sure would get boring in my estimation. As long as we are actively trying to accomplish something, we will judge our efforts to some extent, otherwise what's the point of doing it. I'll accept the angst and count it as part of keeping life more interesting and meaningful.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Suze said...

Accepting angst as part of our DNA. That's pretty clever!

L.G.Smith said...

Angst? Me? Uh, yeah. I tend to feel this way most days. I guess it's just part of who we are. But the tradeoff is we get to enjoy those days when we really do nail it and get it right. So worth it. :)

farawayeyes said...

Angst, doubt, insecurity - a rose by any other name. Ah, writers, ya got to love em. I suppose it's the 'angst' that spurs the creativity.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL! You're right. No matter what you pick, there will be issues. For those of us who have to be doing something, we'll always have that battle.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

But just think of all that's happened because you ARE a writer!

Tonja said...

I think you'd have more angst if you weren't writing - obviously writing is very fulfilling for you. I'm the same way.

Karen Walker said...

Love love love you guys
karen

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Yep, for better or for worse, we're stuck with it, so we might as well suck it up and try to enjoy it.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

Sometimes I think of all the hours I could just read if I gave up writing, but then I sit down and get back to work on the keyboard.

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Karen,

You have a full life and writing is apart of you... like breathing. So INHALE deeply from time to time and that should help.

As you said not writing is still part of the process. We are creative creatures and when it "calls" to us, we respond. Until then, stay healthy and enjoy life. We are blessed with so many wonderful things, it's a shame so many of us don't take the time to slow down and "smell the roses."