Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, November 5, 2012

Monday Musings: Pondering

Sometimes we get sick because it is the only way we stop. Sometime in this lifetime I am going to learn to stop without hurting myself in anyway. Because when I stop, that is when wisdom comes.

While down with my sinus infection, I re-read some of my journal entries over the past six months. over and over again, the message is clear. My spiritual work right now is to write the book I am working on. So I am pondering why it is often the last priority on my list. I am pondering why doing something that fulfills me is so difficult.

I know the answers will come. They always do. If I simply stop. And listen. To. My. Heart.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sometimes I think that the things that are the most important to us are the things we put off...because we value them so much that we want them to be perfect. I've squashed my perfectionism down, but it was tough!

Hope you're feeling better...sinus infections are so miserable.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Feel better! When I'm sick I don't want to do ANYTHING.
Sometimes I put off writing if I'm too distracted and can't give it my 100%.

Karen Walker said...

Hmm, Elizabeth, that is food for thought.
Jennifer, thanks. Yeah, I'm feeling better but still having a hard time motivating myself.
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Because it also makes you stretch?

L.G.Smith said...

I sometimes stall on my writing. Don't want to open the file because of the emotional energy it takes to write for hours. Once I start I'm fine, just like with exercise. It's always that initial "just do it" moment that I have to get through.

Karen Walker said...

L.G., you're right - it's the same feeling.
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

The one that fights you the hardest often turns out to be the best. That's how I felt writing Book V of my series.

Arlee Bird said...

Epiphanies are good. Maybe your struggle comes from the desire to do your right. When the journey doesn't feel right maybe it's time for some diversion. Of course that can backfire and, like me, you could lead a life a diversion. I have a nice time, but I don't seem to get all the things I want to do done.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Suze said...

You can do it, Karen. You are doing it. I believe in you.

Jack said...

Yes, sometimes sickness is the only way for us to stop, which is sad. I am like that too, always busy then when I'm ill I will finally stop to think and rest. Maybe if we made time for stopping, even a little every day, we would feel much better.

Talli Roland said...

Karen, feel better soon. Sometimes we need to slow down to see what's really important.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, yes,
Diane, I hope you're right
Arlee Bird, I feel your pain
Suze, thank you!
Jack, I think you are right
Talli, thank you - I'm getting there
karen

Mary Aalgaard said...

It can be scary to dive in. You can do it. As soon as you're feeling better, make a date with yourself to get started writing.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

First things first. You've got to get well. Until you feel physically motivated to write, do the mental part of it. Think about those things you want to say, kinda like a practice run. I think Elizabeth is right about the reasons we sometimes put off things that are important to us. We're so afraid of screwing it up, it's like a temporary paralysis. It's so much easier for me to imagine a painting I want to do than it is to actually pull out the paints and risk making a mess of it.

Pearson Report said...

Listening is hard, Karen. I find my Buddhist roots help me stay somewhat grounded when I feel the "noise" too overwhelming. I often find myself chanting to silence the chatter.

I have discovered "the artist within" and in doing something completely different, artistically, I feel my writing juices flowing. I'm actually shocked at how the introduction of a secondary passion has triggered my writing, which often has been struggling for a front row seat.

I wish you steadiness of vision and purpose...breath deeply and feel the words at your fingertips; give them freedom...let them loose. Simply stop directing your mental traffic...and the quiet will come.

With hugs, Jenny

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. sometimes those things we want to clear off our plate before we settle are not the most important - yet the ones we struggle to get on with - I'm the same as you. Thankfully I'm not sick .. but today is the day I need to finish something and then move on with own life ..

I do hope you feel better - and I look forward to reading Following the Whispers (which I have here) and I know I'll enjoy your new book - we just learn so many new experiences from our blogging friends - it's great ..

Cheers Hilary

Jen Chandler said...

Hi Karen,

It's good to be back. I've missed reading your posts!

I must agree with Elizabeth: we put off doing what we love because we want it to be perfect. For me, it seems that I plan and plan and envision something and when I start it, it's never as I imagined it. But we must see things through in order to get to the other side of it!

Thanks for the inspiration. Best of luck on your book! And I do hope the sinus infection is gone!

Cheers,
Jen