Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, December 7, 2012

Final scenes from Guatemala

Iximche - Mayan ruins
A Mayan Fire Ceremony

Children of Santo Domingo

Are you in love like me?

Tuk Tuk - Guatemalan taxi

As I said, I had no intention of ever going to Guatemala, but I'm glad I had an opportunity to visit this beautiful country. I fell in love with the people and the colors and the kindness and gentleness I found there. We only stayed one night in Guatemala City, where crime is rampant and it is advised not to walk at night. In Antigua, there is such a high police presence, crime is not a huge issue. What struck me most is the contentment I felt from the people, despite what I consider to be extreme poverty. The people who begged on the streets broke my heart and the children selling their homemade crafts stole it.

Have you been to what is considered a third world country? How did it affect you?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Amazing pictures--you've got a real eye for photography, Karen!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The taxi is funny! Never been to a third world country, although my parents have a few times.

Yvonne's World of Poetry said...

Thank you Karen for showing pictures of a place I don't think I will ever visit.
Have a great week-end.
Yvonne.

L.G.Smith said...

Love the Tuk-Tuk!

Glad you decided to go.

Karen Walker said...

Thanks, Elizabeth, no one's ever said that before!
Alex, the taxi was hilarious.
Yvonne, you are so welcome.
L.G. me, too!
Karen

Jack said...

It looks like a lovely country!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

What an experience it must've been for you.

Manzanita said...

More colorful and interesting pictures. Also a eye-appealing picture of you. The country looks beautiful.

Morgan said...

Hi, Karen! New follower here... I came by to say thanks for signing up for the Cheers, Cavanaugh Blogfest. I'm so glad you're participating. It's going to be so fun.

And I've never been to a third world country... but wow, it looks like it would have great impact on anyone...

Sharon Lippincott said...

We visited Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe a few years ago, and the grinding poverty we saw was heart-wrenching. The most amazing thing as that we saw virtually no beggars! We did have people constantly offering to guide us to see things or sell us trinkets on the street. Visiting the craft market was especially tough. I wanted to spend enough to fill a boxcar to help people out, but obviously, even if I'd had the dollar bills to do so (they use USA currency as legal tender), I had no way to bring more than a few small things home. I was so touched to see that in spite of destroying the country's economy, Mugabe and his henchmen have not destroyed the people's spirit.

Sharon Lippincott said...

P.S. Looking again at those spectacular photos, I'm dying to know the stories behind them. You know the saying, "A picture is worth a thousand words"? I think it really means that it takes a thousand words to tell the story of the picture! LOL! So glad you posted them, because even without their stories, they are amazing to see.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. it always amazes me - how peaceful very poor people appear to be ... I'm so pleased you had the opportunity and enjoyed your visit.

Botswana, Namibia and parts of South Africa .. when I visited in the late 70s Rhodesia was wealthy (all things being equal) and the peoples were looked after ... not now - very grinding ...

But we see (much) worse in other countries in Africa, Eastern Europe - far eastern .. and then Asia .. and the Americas in parts ...

Thanks so much for sharing with us .. Hilary

Liz Fichera said...

Those pics are wonderful, the children especially.

Tracy Moore said...

Karen, I went through and looked at the last two posts of pictures from the trip. Absolutely beautiful! Looks like this was an experience of a lifetime. Thank you for sharing these with us. :)