Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, December 10, 2012

Monday Musings - Honoring Alex

I'm not following the rules of the blogfest. Just felt like doing my own thing here.

When I began blogging, I never imagined in a million years that I would actually make friends. People I've grown to care about and yes, love. I've only met a few in person. Most live in other places. It was such an unexpected outcome to something I chose to do to help promote my memoir.

One of the biggest blessings in the blogging world is Alex J. Cavanaugh. http://alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com

He began blogging right around the same time I did. He says it was because of the one book he had in him, CassaStar. Now, he's finished the third book in that trilogy, has 1700+ followers on his blog, is surely the best friend to bloggers there is, because he lets us all know in every post what's happening with everyone else.

And best of all. He is just a really nice guy who really loves his wife, is maintaining his privacy, to the sadness of all of us who would love to see what he looks like.

So, here's to Alex (raising a glass here) a man who most assuredly deserves the honors he is receiving today all over bloggydom.

Blessings,
Karen

32 comments:

Yvonne's World of Poetry said...

Yes Karen it's great when you meet a blogger in person , I met Arlee Bird in February this year whilst on a holiday to LA.
Alex is an institution where blogging is concerned and has come along way from when I fist read his A to Z years ago.
I too haven't followed the rules but wrote in the only way I know how.
Enjoyed your post very much.
Yvonne.

Elise Fallson said...

It's wonderful to meet you and I share your sentiments. I've only been blogging since February but already I've made friends through this writing community, friends that I truly care about even if I've never met them in person. Alex is one of those people because he is a genuinely nice and caring person. Loved your post and glad you didn't follow the rules. (:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Aw, thank you, Karen! You were one of my first blogger buddies and it's been an honor getting to know you through your blog and your book. I hope YOU keep writing as well!

Luanne Smith said...

I didn't follow the rules either, but I figure the point was to fete Alex today, and we've done that.

Cheers to Alex!

Claudia Moser said...

Nice post Karen!

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, thanks, I enjoyed yours as well
Elise, one of the nicest things about blogfests is meeting new wonderful bloggers like you
Alex, couldn't happen to a nicer guy - and that is definitely my intention for the new year.
Luanne, we sure did!
Claudia, thank you!
Karen

Siv Ottem said...

Wonderful words for a fantastic friend :)

Jack said...

Very nice post! Such a nice way to say thank you to him!

Arlee Bird said...

We've developed a very warm close knit blogging community and have a lot to credit Alex for. And I appreciate your support as well, Karen. You were among my first blog friends. Thank you!

Lee
Tossing It Out

Melissa said...

I think your post is great.
Thanks for visiting my blog. :)

Melissa Bradley said...

You're right, the point is to honor our friend. :) Alex is amazing and I know I would not be the same without his friendship.

DL Hammons said...

Ummmmmmmm....somebody is going to throw you in blogging jail for not following the rules! :)

I can't imagine the blogosphere without Alex.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Alex is really one of a kind!

Karen Walker said...

Siv, Jack, Amen!
Lee, right back at ya!
Melissa, you're welcome
Melissa, yes, yes
DL, blogging jail, hmmm - neither can I
Karen

Robyn Campbell said...

This is a beautiful tribute. I love the privacy thing. Even though I decided to put my picture up. Alex is the best! *raises glass* *clink* :-)

randi lee said...

Awesome of you to tribute Alex. He deserves it!

randi lee said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Perfectly put! Alex really is a best friend to all bloggers. A lovely tribute, Karen!

Marta Szemik said...

Raising my glass along with you. Cheers!

Tonja said...

I agree - lovely tribute.

Tara Tyler said...

sweet toast for a sweet guy! nice!

Kirsten said...

Very nice post. I agree, sometimes it's better to write what's in your heart than to follow the rules!

Cheers to the Internet Ninja!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Nicely said, Karen.

Michael Di Gesu said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynda R Young said...

*raises a glass with you*

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. I fall into your category - I rarely do things according to the rules .. so this was great to read.

Cheers and Alex and his crew deserve their support - like you I'm amazed at the way the blogosphere has developed .. Hilary

Stephen Tremp said...

You rebel you! Great post. I really liked it!

Morgan said...

*love*

A perfect tribute!

:D

Joylene Nowell Butler said...

Well put, Karen!

David P. King said...

You said it. Thank you for participating! :)

Mark Koopmans said...

Aloha Karen,

Thanks for participating in AlexFest and I hope you feel better soon.. give that sickness a thump from me :)

jual baju muslim murah said...

This is a very useful article for the readers, especially for me