Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Telling the Truth Tuesday - The Pollyanna Plan

I finished reading Talli Roland's latest chic lit novel, The Pollyanna Plan. When I pick up a chic lit book to read, I pretty much know what to expect. It's going to be light hearted. It's going to be fairly predictable. And it's going to have a happy ending. But Talli's managed to write a book that fits this genre and make it real at the same time. From the first pages, I cared about the main character and wanted to know what was going to happen to her. And when the male protagonist entered the scene, I cared about him as well, particularly since he is coping with a devastating disease diagnosis.

It's not easy to take readers to a place where they relate emotionally to a what a character is going through. It's especially not easy when the genre is chic lit. Talli's managed it here beautifully. To find Talli and how to get her books, go here: http://talliroland.blogspot.com





Talli Roland writes fun, romantic fiction. Born and raised in Canada, Talli now lives in London, where she savours the great cultural life (coffee and wine). Despite training as a journalist, Talli soon found she preferred making up her own stories – complete with happy endings. Twice shortlisted for the UK’s Festival of Romance, Talli's novels have also been chosen as Amazon Customer Favourites and top books of the year by industry review websites. She’s a bestseller in Britain and the United States. To learn more about Talli, visit her Amazon Author Page, go to her website, follow her on Twitter, or check out her blog.  


Have you read any books lately that have moved you emotionally?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Tonja said...

That sounds like a fun read. Thanks for sharing.

Talli Roland said...

Aw, thank you so much, Karen! I really appreciate you taking the time to read and for letting me know what you think.

Glynis said...

I loved the Pollyanna Plan! I agree, that Talli creates believable characters.

Karen Walker said...

Tonja, you are welcome.
Talli, it was an easy "do."
Glynis, she does indeed
Karen

Talli Roland said...

Thank you so much, Glynis!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I haven't read Pollyanna Plan, but the one of hers I did read was cute.

Yvonne's World of Poetry said...

Sounds a great read, I have bought a few of her books and found them excellent.

Yvonne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - a perfect read for this time of year .. I've just ordered Talli's Christmas novella - so am looking forward to that arriving ..

Cheers Hilary

Talli Roland said...

Thank you, Alex and Yvonne!

And Hilary, I hope you enjoy the novella.

Ann Carbine Best said...

Talli is an awesome writer. It's lots of fun reading her books. I haven't read all of them yet, but I will. I'm finishing Kittie Howard's Rings of Trust which is very well done. I downloaded Glynis Smy's Maggie's Child and look forward to reading it soon.

I'm glancing at your Monday's post about trust. I'm struggling with this right now because of a person I loaned some money to over a year ago, and she has made and broken promises for over a year about paying me back. I have always been a trusting person, but unfortunately you can't trust everyone. I've learned a bitter lesson. As for trusting myself...well, I don't trust me to make good judgments about some things. Ah, this life is definitely a learning experience, in so many ways.

Thanks for the sweet comment you made on my blog about No Man is An Island. We do have to learn how to live with our fellow beings on Planet Earth. Sometimes it isn't easy. I often pray for the spirit of discernment!

Happy holiday season to your and your wonderful husband!
Ann

M.L. Swift said...

I'm going around to all of the wonderful blogs I follow to wish you a Merry Christmas. Have a safe and happy holiday, Karen!

Peace,
ML

randi lee said...

I like the sound of this book. I'll have to put it on my reading list!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've been accused of being a Pollyanna, so I should probably read this.

Jack said...

I love books in which I can care about the characters. Those always end up as my favourite.