Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday Musings - what do you do when a dream dies

Most of you know I am in a singing trio, Sugartime, and that it is a huge, important part of my life. It has fed my soul in so many ways. Now it looks like the group might not continue. One of the singers has found another group that more meets her dream. So in order for her to fulfill her dream, my dream might die.

I could try to find someone to replace her. But I don't really think I have the energy to do that. And the remaining singer and I just aren't strong enough to do it just the two of us.

We have a few months before she actually leaves - she hasn't made that decision yet, but it's looking like that's the way it will go, so I am wondering what I will do to fill that huge hole in my life...

How about you? Have you had big dreams end?
Blessings,
Karen

13 comments:

Yvonne's World of Poetry said...

I've had many a dream end but then another one comes along.

Have a good day.
Yvonne.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I sure haven't, and I hope this doesn't happen to you, Karen. Hoping something will change with that scenario!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Karen, you never know - if she leaves, someone else might fill the gap.
Right now I'm trying to decide what matters most between music and writing, and if there is room for both.

Karen Walker said...

Ah yes, Yvonne, that's right
Elizabeth, I'm afraid it is happening, but although I'm sad, I'm okay
Alex, that is a tough choice - but I know you'll figure out what's best for you
Karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Oh! Maybe you can find another singer before she leaves? Put the word out and see what happens.

Manzanita said...

Don't despair. It always seems like things happen for a reason. Some voice will appear that will be even better. Happens to my granddaughters band. A person leaves but is always replaced by a better sound.It will come.

jaybird said...

There might be someone wonderful, just waiting for an opportunity like this to arise, so they can join you.

Don't give up just yet Karen, you never know what tomorrow will bring!

Karen Walker said...

Diane, yes, I know - I'm just grieving for what was - I'll get thru it
Manzanita, yes, I do realize that and I can see that this might actually be a good thing - I'm just sad
Jaybird, I'm hopeful...
karen

LD Masterson said...

"I could try to find someone to replace her. But I don't really think I have the energy to do that."

If the dream really matters, you'll find the energy, and the person. Otherwise, perhaps this dream needs to fade away to make room for another.

Tracy Jo said...

Oh no! Hope something/someone even better comes along to fill in. Sometimes when I have felt I don't have the energy...something just happens without me even trying. Sending positive thoughts your way!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

You've really enjoyed your adventures with Sugartime, so I can imagine how disappointed you must be. But trust in yourself. One way or another, it will work out. Maybe you and the other singer can practice doing some duets in harmony? Or as others have said, a third... even better... singer may keep you guys going. Good luck!

Tonja said...

I'm sorry to hear that. Hugs.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. gosh that's a shock ... but I can understand your friend's need.

However - you .. could you help out at the Senior Centres by using your singing ... and perhaps along the way you'll find another to join you ..

All the very best though ... but things do happen and there's a reason for everything ... Hilary