Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, January 18, 2013

Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont

The other night hubby and I couldn't find anything to watch on TV, so we trolled through Netflix, looking for something we hadn't seen. We found Mrs. Palfrey at the Claremont. Anyone hear of it? Me, neither. It stars Joan Plowright and screenplay by Dan Ireland. It is a beautifully written, beautifully acted film. If you're looking for lots of action and sudden plot twists, this is not the movie for you. It is most definitely a character-driven plot. I have not been able to stop thinking about these characters and how serendipitous meetings of two unlikely people can have an amazing impact on our lives.

I love finding little, unknown gems like this. Do you? What have you found lately?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Haven't seen that one yet. (Even though some days I feel like about to reach the end of NetFlix.)

jaybird said...

Sounds like my kind of movie! I will have to check it out. Although, I will have to do it, sans Husband.

The Husband and I rarely agree on the same movies. His taste is your typical action, blood, guts, killing everyone type that totally grosses me out and turn me right off. And he can't stay awake through some of my "girly" favorites, like The Painted Veil, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and Jane Eyre.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I'll put that one in my queue. Looks great!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I've never even heard of that one.

Karen Walker said...

Yeah, me, too, Alex. There are so many choices, but not that many that appeal to me.
Jaybird, I have the same issue - was surprised he like this one.
Elizabeth, it's kind of slow moving, but the characters were so interesting to me.
Karen

Ann Carbine Best said...

I've got this one in my instant que! I am SO eager to see it, especially now that you've posted your response. I LOVE Joan Plowright. She is such a marvelous actress. And intriguing to me that she was married to Laurence Olivier, and is still alive at age 83. Character driven plots are my most favorites, not the Hollywood slam-in-your-face stuff. Okay. It's now on my list to see SOON.

Ann Carbine Best said...

p.s. She was great in Tea with Mussolini, with Maggie Smith and Judi Dench, legendary actresses still with us and also among my great favorites.

Karen Walker said...

Ooh, Ann, I've not seen that - now I'll have to go see that one!
Karen

LD Masterson said...

My last unexpected gem was "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day starring Frances McDormand and Amy Adams. I caught at the local Indie theater a few years ago and enjoyed it so much I gave the DVD to several friends the following Christmas.

Claudia Moser said...

Added on the list, thank you!
And appreciate your kinds words, all is well!

Tracy Jo said...

Haven't seen it! Will have to check it out. Have a wonderful weekend!

Yvonne Lewis said...

I haven't seen it, is it US or world wide?

Yvonne.

Karen Walker said...

LD, oooh, I loved that movie, too!
Claudia, glad to hear it.
Tracy Jo, you, too
Yvonne - don't know - sorry
Karen

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

I haven't heard of this movie, either, but we don't "do" netflix, and usually wait until something comes on TV or (rarely) buy it on DVD.

Happy weekend!

Gina Gao said...

I am attempting to wade my way through a seemingly endless stream of TV shows. But recently, I haven't had the time to really watch any of them.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Tonja said...

I haven't heard of it. Sounds good.