Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, January 4, 2013

Postscript to insecurity

It is a new year - 2013. My goodness. Time sure seems to be flying by rather quickly, doesn't it?
I have been gone over the holidays and away from bloggydom, but just before Christmas, my writing started flowing again on my novel, so I am not feeling particularly insecure right now. I know it ebbs and flows and in the times of ebbing, I am unconsciously still working, so I've learned to relax about it.

In the wake of the tragedies that occurred just before the end of the year, I have come to understand keeping things in perspective at a much deeper level than ever before. I am learning to ask myself, how important is it in the scheme of things, when I get upset about something. I don't mean our feelings aren't valid. They are. And we are human. We will and do have feelings. But for me, keeping things in perspective helps me manage them much better.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Makes you realize some things just don't matter as much as you thought, right?

Yolanda Renee said...

I lost my perspective these last few months -- mainly because I didn't write what I was feeling or experiencing. I didn't acknowledge it, and truth be told maybe I haven't for even longer than that, instead I suppressed it and ignored it and then oops there it was -- pouring forth like ... well I'll leave that to the imagination.

But having spewed it forth, I'm regaining balance -- regaining perspective.

Good insight!
Happy New Year!

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Good news about your novel! And keeping the right perspective is a great way to start the new year.

Tonja said...

Perspective is everything.

Haddock said...

All the best on the novel and may the juices keep flowing till next Christmas :-)

Luanne Smith said...

I've got nothing to complain about when I think about the horrific things others had to go through just before the holidays.

And cliche time: Life's about the journey not the destination. Blah, blah, blah, but it's true. :)

Happy weekend, Karen.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Glad to hear the words are flowing for you again. You're right about putting things into perspective. The older I get, the easier that it to do.

Romance Reader - Nas said...

It's good to examine how important things are sometimes. It is good to put things into perspective.

Suze said...

'I know it ebbs and flows and in the times of ebbing, I am unconsciously still working, so I've learned to relax about it.'

Perfect, Karen.

Happy new year, friend.

Dr. kold_kadavr_flatliner, MD said...

GREETINGS, EARTHLING!!! While I can’t stay in this existence finite for long, gotta run back to the Elysian Fields soon, I’d like muchly to givest unto thee, fairest liege, the whole gamut of wisdom and knowledge bestowed upon this sinfull mortal by the GoodGod; yes, it is I who bespeaketh, for I only have 77ish-odd-years to live. So, take anything and everything you so desire -if- I can but nekk with you and/or kiss your adorable, gorgeous feets in the Great Beyond. Cool? Get back with me Upstairs, k? God bless you, doll. Meet me beyond the clouds to see ya in Heaven, girl. Love you …thewarningsecondcoming.com