Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, February 15, 2013

First draft - finished - I think!

Thank God for Annie Lamott. In her fabulous book about writing, she gives us all permission to write shitty first drafts. Now, I'm not sure I'd call mine "shitty." But it certainly needs plenty of work. I'm not even sure at this point if I can call it a novel. I spent an hour yesterday researching the difference between a novel and a novella. Currently, I'm at about 32,000 words, but I know I have to flush out a lot of stuff, add more plot, scenes, descriptions. But I'm not sure I'll get to 80,000, which seems to be the minimum for a book to be considered a novel. I'm not going to worry about it for now. At this moment, I am just grateful I got the basics down and can now go back and make it come alive.

I am celebrating several things this week. Getting the first draft done is one. My son had something wonderful happen in his life. And my singing group, Sugartime, is beginning a new leaf. We are now a dynamic duo, rather than a trio. And I finished helping my 91-year-old friend get moved into assisted living and her old house packed up and emptied so it can be sold. Whew! That's a lot.
Oh, and it was hubby's birthday and Valentine's Day.

What are you celebrating in your life?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

jaybird said...

That's a lot to celebrate. Happy B-day to the hubby. Congrats to your son. Happy to hear you will be a dynamic duo now and you finished your first draft. Doesn't matter what state it's in, you finished. Many, many people start but never make it to the finish line.

Way to go Karen!!

Yvonnes Poetry Corner said...

A lot indeed to celebrate Karen, Me? I received Alex's book I won on his blog. It looks very impressive.
Nothing I'm afraid on the family front to celebrate. Oh there is another thing Arlee has chosen me to be one of his ambassadors fro the A to Z Challenge.

Have a good week-end.
Yvonne.

T. Drecker said...

Congratulations on getting that 1st draft done! That's always the hardest part for me too. Looks like you had a busy week, with tons to celebrate. have a great weekend!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Congrats!!! I hope you had a good Valentine's Day :)

Karen Walker said...

Yes, it's been quite the week, Jaybird. Thanks
Yvonne, that's lovely.
T. Decker, It's been very long and intense.
Optimistic, thanks, it was just lovely
Karen

Claudia Moser said...

Looking forward to your next book! If you need a test reader, I am here:)

Tonja said...

That's wonderful. I read and choose to believe that 50K words is the line between a novel and a novella. Personally, I like shorter books.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's awesome, Karen! Hey, my first two books only hit 75,000, so I think you're all right.

Karen Walker said...

Claudia, I may take you up on that offer!
Tonja, oh, if that's true, I'm not that far away.
Alex, that's good to know - thanks
karen

L.G. Smith said...

Congrats on finishing that first draft. And you'll flesh it out. I can't help but add words every time I go back and revise. My novels end up going over 100k with regularity because I can't shut up while I write. :P

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Sounds like you had a great week! I write like that too, Karen. Horrible first drafts of about 25K words. Then I have to go flesh them out. I envy those who write 150K first drafts.

Shaharizan Perez said...

First, I want to wish you congratulations on all the wonderful things going on in your life. Finishing a first draft is huge. I have yet to accomplish this but . . . one day I will. :D

I am celebrating the purchase of our (mine and my husband's) first home! Super-excited to be closing soon.

Tammy Theriault said...

Congrats....ur way further than me, be proud!

BECKY said...

Yay! And I LOVE Ann Lamott, too!