Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Friday, February 8, 2013

Happy Friday, everyone

You know, when you retire, the days change meaning. When working, Friday comes, and woo hoo, you're excited that it's the weekend and you don't have to work. Once you retire, however, it doesn't really matter whether it's weekday or weekend, except that my hubby still works, so that does change things a bit. But for me, every day can be Friday if I choose. I don't, but I could. And that's the difference.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Gene Bodzin said...

Even when I was much younger I dreaded a time when I would be in a hospital with my fate dependent on whether I could tell somebody what day it was. I have failed the test within the past year, escaping only because I could tell the doctor the exact address of the hospital and identify all the nearby bus routes. When you're not working five days a week, the question becomes more than irrelevant but potentially more consequential.

Yvonnes Poetry Corner said...

Being retired can open many doors for you. One is not restricted to a routine unless you want one of course. I have had a wonderful retirement so far, with many trips and concerts and of course blogging.

Have a great week-end.
Yvonne.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm self employed, so I set my own schedule. The days can blend for me. I love Mondays and Fridays because for me they are full days I can get things done without interruptions because I'm home and my husband is at work. Not that he bothers me on Saturdays, but you know what I mean.

Romance Reader said...

I'm a housewife who write and blogs and sometimes edits. I enjoy every day....

Maria

~Sia McKye~ said...

I can and do set my schedule. Now that I'm working again, Mondays, which used to be a favorite day because the house was all mine with kid and hubs gone, is now my busiest day. I have to work Mondays.

If I work on a Saturday, my guys don't bother me. They keep busy with what they're interested in.

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

Karen Walker said...

Gene, sigh, your words are so true
Yvonne, yes, the freedom is lovely
Diane, yup,I do know what you mean
Romance Reader, how lovely that you do
Sia, that's wonderful
karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looking forward to retirement!!

LD Masterson said...

I hate to admit it, but I'm not crazy about Fridays anymore. This is the day when I look at all I didn't get accomplished during the week and know I have to give the next couple days to the rest of the family (the ones that work or are in school all week).

L.G. Smith said...

I don't work outside the home, but I do have to get up early to get my son to school by 7am five days a week. Look very forward to the weekends and getting caught up on sleep. And to him graduating in two more years!

Nickie said...

My days get all screwed up even though I am working. I currently have to work Saturdays, and I keep thinking that Saturday is Friday. Thank goodness the date pops up on my cell phone, otherwise I'd get lost in the week.

John J Foster said...

I agree with you Karen, For me everyday is a weekend and in some ways I blame it for some of the Procrastination I find myself doing, I look back at what I have achieved the previous week to find Nothing and that i had in fact spent most days reading about other peoples lives.

But I am so happy being Retired and so glad I did not wait till I was 65, retiring at 55 is the right age to enjoy our life while we can.