Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 25, 2013

Monday Musings: health

Thursday was a good day. I had an acupuncture treatment - was feeling very relaxed - not a normal state for me. Met friends for dinner and to hear my girlfriend (the one who left Sugartime) sing at her new venue. Had a few sips of wine and ate my dinner. Twenty minutes later, my heart started to race, my pulse fluttered inconsistently and I felt "weird." Sat thru the music, went home and got into bed, heart still pounding, pulse still erratic. I did not want to go to the ER. Something similar had happened to me a few years ago while hiking and I got myself all checked out and I was fine, and so was my heart. But hubby said, "I don't want to wake up to a dead wife,"so we went.

By the time we got there, it had been four hours since the symptoms began. Of course, as soon as they hooked me up to the EKG, the symptoms disappeared and the test results were normal. However, the doc, who has been an ER doc for 40 years, said I probably have a-fib, irregular heart beat that comes on sporadically. If I had other symptoms, I would need to get to the doctor, but as of right now, I'm okay. I'm going to my primary care doc anyway, just in case.

But the other thing he said, when he listened to my heart, is that I was wheezing, which I knew, but was ignoring. I've been dealing with mucus in my throat and a dry cough forever. He just looked at me and said, "You have asthma." Now that was not a diagnosis I had heard before.

I will talk to the primary care doc about that as well, along with my alternative guy. I do not want to take steroids.

So, my message to you, dear friends, is to be grateful for your good health and whatever blessings you have going on. This isn't life threatening, but it's scary to be turning 64 and to know I might have a heart issue I have to watch.

Blessings,
Karen

9 comments:

L.G. Smith said...

Oh, I hope you're okay. Hopefully the weezing is just because of the sinus stuff you had going on earlier.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Oh how scary! After going through that with Craig last weekend, I know it's no fun.

Avoid milk products if you have asthma.

Julie Flanders said...

Oh, I'm sorry to read this, Karen. Glad to hear you are okay now and I hope that continues. Take care!

Karen Walker said...

L.G., I think the wheezing is from the previously undiagnosed asthma.
Diane, it was not fun. And I avoid dairy anyway because I've always known it doesn't agree with me.
Julie, thanks so much
Karen

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

A dead wife isn't good! Glad you are better now.

Suzanne Furness said...

Hope all goes well with the doctor. It sounds like a scary episode.

Patricia Stoltey said...

Karen, a racy heart and asthma sound like things that would trigger anxiety which would trigger more symptoms. Maybe your doctor can suggest some new ways to combat that. I sure hope so.

Karen Walker said...

You see, the thing is that women don't present with the same symptoms men do if they are having a heart attack, so it needed to be checked out. Thank goodness I didn't have one - there's a blood test to determine that.

LD Masterson said...

Scary stuff. Your husband did the right thing. Better safe than sorry.

My biggest health problem these days are my bad knees. Painful but not so scary.