Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, February 18, 2013

Monday Musings: now what?

This is an interesting time in my life. I'm turning 64 in April. Remember the Beatle song, "When I'm 64?" It went, "When I get older, losing my hair, many years from now. Will you still be sending me a Valentine, birthday greetings, bottle of wine?"

Well, it's many years from when that song came out and I was singing it and now I'm older and losing my hair. Who would've thought? When we're young, we feel pretty invincible and it's hard to imagine being old.

Did I tell you about the last time I went to a concert? I was standing in the lobby with my girlfriends and looking at the people coming to the performance and said, "look at all these old people still coming to concerts," and then I realized I was one of them. Oy!

Having taken care of my elderly parents, my mother-in-law, my girlfriend's mom, and my now 91-year old dear friend, I know what I am facing. Right now I feel healthier than I've ever felt. Really, I mean ever, because I became overweight at 20 years old and stayed that way till about four years ago.

So, now what? Well, first I'm going to get working on the second draft of my novel. I'm going to keep singing with Sugartime as long as I have a decent voice. I'm going to folk dance with my hubby every once in awhile (my knee prevents me from doing it every week like I used to). I'm going to keep eating healthily and exercising whenever possible. I'm going to hang out with friends, because that makes me happy. And I'm going to focus on one day at a time instead of worrying about what will happen as I continue this aging process.

Now what's in store for you?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Yvonnes Poetry Corner said...

Well I'm getting to an age (older than you) which I don't particulary like, but as long as I can get my hair done, travel a bit and see my Daniel O Donnell I'll count myself lucky, There are things going on in my life I don't like and I know one day all will be well until then I shall not waste my time worrying,

Great post Karen.
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Just keep on moving forward and doing your thing as long as you can!
And yes, when I go to a rock concert, I realize that I'm now one of those weird, middle-aged people I saw as a teen. When did that happen?

L. Diane Wolfe said...

You're not old, Karen. Some of it is in the body, but most is in the mind.

L.G. Smith said...

I was at a concert a couple years ago and thought I'd be the oldest one there. I was shocked by how many gray haired people showed up. Suddenly I felt young again. Then I realized they were probably my age too, they just didn't color their hair. :P

Suze said...

I like the Beatles reference. :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

64 is young!! Besides, age is a state of mind :)

celeste holloway said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
celeste holloway said...

Karen! You go, G-friend! It sounds like you've got more fire in you than a lot young pups out there! I applaud you and aspire to be like you! Bravo! Continue on, my lady. :)

Smiles,
Celeste

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, smart woman, why worry - it doesn't help anything anyway.
Alex, yeah, that's what I keep asking myself - when did this happen?
Diane, it's all in the mind till one looks in the mirror!
L.G. Ha! Yes, that's right, since I color my hair as well.
Suze, oh, I miss you
Optimistic, yes, it is young, compared to someone in their 80s or90s, I suppose.
Celeste, why thank you - I intend to.
Karen

Tonja said...

You seem like a very young 63-year-old. :) I will be 45 this summer. I'm thinking about not exactly a bucket list, but a list of things I want to do before I turn 50.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

You've got some great stuff in store! Maybe the best is yet to come!

Julie Flanders said...

It's great to read that you feel healthier than you ever have, that's wonderful. I can relate to that as I feel much better now than I did when I was younger. I have to laugh about the concerts, I am going to one tomorrow evening and I know I will feel old as can be! :)

Tracy Moore said...

Karen, you inspire me. I love this post and am so happy that you are doing so well. I'm into middle age now and honestly it is so far the best time in my life. Getting healthier, which is still a work in progress for me but it's coming...so I know what you mean there...it feels great!

Carol Kilgore said...

Keep doing those things you love!

Arlee Bird said...

Aging can sure be weird. It's like thinking with two brains--the one I had when I was much younger and the realization of the mind that I actually have now. I know that feeling that you're talking about being at that concert.

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

Manzanita said...

Folk dancing, Isn't that where you met hubby? I think that was in your book?????
Keep doing the things you enjoy. I do.