Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Being skinny

Most of you know I have lost a great deal of weight. But if you haven't read my memoir, you probably don't know I used to be skinny when I was a teenager. I could eat whatever I wanted and never gain an ounce. Then I went on birth control pills and within three months, I'd gained 30 pounds. No doctor since then, and that was 44 years ago, has ever been able to either explain or do anything about that. My metabolism apparently changed and from then on, I was up and down 30 - 50 pounds.

About six months ago, I went to an alternative healer - a chiropractor/kinesthesiologist (muscle testing). I went because I have a chronic hoarseness and it affected my singing.The traditional western docs tested me up the ying yang and nothing was revealed that helped.

During that first visit I mentioned being hypoglycemic and that I became extremely irritable and anxious if I didn't eat every few hours. He put me on a supplement to balance my blood sugar and my life has changed dramatically for the better. In addition to that, he said my adrenal system wasn't functioning properly (which would affect metabolism). Over the next few months, I lost an additional 15 pounds and now, I can pretty much eat what I want and not gain weight. It's pretty miraculous.

I spent about 60 seconds feeling sorry for myself that I spent so many years being overweight and thinking I was flawed because I couldn't maintain a weight loss. I have learned to eat healthier and exercise, which is a huge part of being a healthy weight. But if something is wrong with your metabolism, that's a whole other story.

Now I am just grateful I found someone who helped with this huge issue. We're still working on the chronic hoarseness - it's better but not totally resolved. I'll keep you posted...(lol).

Have you struggled with a long-time problem and found alternative solutions when nothing traditional worked?

Blessings,
Karen

12 comments:

Karen Jones Gowen said...

What a cool story, Karen! It is wonderful when the medical cause for a problem is unearthed. I've felt very thankful for my family doctor through the years who has helped us with similar situations.

Shaharizan Perez said...

I also struggle with weight loss and I tried all types of pills and diets. I was talking with my colleague at work who lost a tremendous amount of weight. She said to cut out all of the processed sugars and starches. This was two years ago.

Just by cutting out fruit juices, soda, white flour products and snacks, I have lost 32 pounds. I didn't need a pill, expensive weight loss program or fancy diet. :)

Karen Walker said...

Karen, it's wonderful to have a doc you can trust
Shaharizan, yes, I did those same things as well - good for you!
Karen

Manzanita said...

Good for you for finding the right person to help you. I have NEVER been to an allopathic doctor but I discovered muscle testing way back in the 70's when it was not well known. I do that plus acupuncture and my intuitive. But "time" takes it's toll on the organs and it get's harder.
Good luck and let go of
allopathic and big pharma.
Love and peace

jaybird said...

Thanks for sharing your story. I am so happy it worked out for you, and you are feeling healthier and stronger now.

Pk Hrezo said...

Good for you Karen. I've never been skinny like that. Crazy. I've always had to watch what i eat and exercise. My metabolism has never been great but as I've gotten older discovered I have an under active thyroid. Have you ever had that checked? It's very treatable. I love taking the more natural route tho.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Good for you! I used to be painfully skinny. Even in my fifties, I was wearing a size two. (I mean, that's downright ridiculous.) No one could accuse me of being skinny now. I wish I could blame the disappearance of my waistline on hormonal changes alone, but I think the real culprit is the number of hours I spend sitting on my arse in front of the computer every day.

Yvonnes Poetry Corner said...

A great story and interesting to read.

Yvonne.

Ruth said...

Good for you. I don't eat wheat and drink lots of water. I use coconut oil also.
My husband decided he needs to be healthier so I put him on vitamin d and k and no wheat/pop and he is losing wheat. The coconut oil helps too.

Jemi Fraser said...

Wow! How exciting to have your body to respond to treatment! I've struggled with weight since my thyroid went wonky after the birth of my 2nd kid. It's tough!

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I practice Reiki so I love hearing about how supplemental treatments have helped people.

I'm afraid I don't have anything special to share. I do suffer from a few issues like aches in my legs due to poor circulation and a compressed disc in my lumbar spine.

Sharon Lippincott said...

Karen,
Your good news makes me want to run to my nearest kinesiologist-chiropractor. I'm excited for you! Thanks for sharing.