Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Letting Go

Everyone has issues. We all have "stuff" going on in our lives. If we're good friends and family members, we listen and help those we love when they are dealing with stuff. And hopefully, we have people in our lives who do the same for us.

I must, however, learn to let go. I carry my own and everyone else's "stuff" in my body. In particular, in my neck and shoulders. They are so tense. I find myself with shoulders hunched up most of the time. Then I catch myself and let them go, but the pain remains.

I know I have to let go. I can listen, but I can't take it in me. When it's someone extremely close, however, that is much more difficult. But I can no longer continue doing things the way I have been. The stress is really impacting my health. This a-fib problem with my heart is definitely stress induced. And so, I imagine, is the asthma. I need to stop trying so hard in everything I do and simply let.......go.

How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

14 comments:

Yvonnes Poetry Corner said...

Karen I feel for you, my shoulders and neck is in constant pain brought on by stress. I start physio treatment next week to relieve the pain but the pain in my heart remains.

I have had Internet and Chrome problems hence my coming off for a few days.

Take care.
Yvonne.

Manzanita said...

Karen, Yeah, we all hang on too tight and care so much for those we love. As if we could lighten their load by increasing our. Yeah, right.

Misha Gericke said...

Letting go is something I regularly have to work on. I just can't help it. Sometimes I'm like an issue sponge and before I know it, I'm needing to work everything out again. :-)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

We can't carry everyone's problems and our own as well. Most of the time I can't even manage my own, which is why I give them to God.

DL Hammons said...

I probably let go too easily...or rather I'm a great compartmentalizer. I can set aside my feelings and not let it affect me. Great self-defense mechanism, but it makes me appear uncaring at times.

I still think letting go is the way to go.

Tracy Jo said...

Oh Karen, I hear you. It is like my post yesterday, one of those things I have to practice. So sorry to hear you were in the ER! It is scary and does make you look at what you are doing, feeling, etc. I am going to try to commit to yoga to help relax. Have you tried that? Thinking of you and sending lots of positive thoughts!

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, yes, that's where I carry it, too
Manzanita, oh if I could only remember that.
Misha, sponge is a good word for it
Alex, yes, I remember a saying now, if you pray, why worry, if you worry, why pray.
DL, I doubt you could ever appear uncaring -
Karen

L.G. Smith said...

Breathe, breathe, breathe. In and out, and let it go. :))

Tracy Moore said...

I do need to be better at visiting here more often! Sorry that you are having these issues right now. Letting go is very good advice and you are right about how difficult it is to do.

I carry other people's stuff in my body too and am sure that it has a lot to do with my health issues. Been working on letting go myself and am making progress. Still have so much to do yet though.

Please take care of yourself Karen. <3

Charmaine Clancy said...

I've never been prone to stress, but I think it helps that I'm a total day-dreaming ditz. Never have my feet planted long enough to worry about real life. Meditation helps me relax at night - I use recordings from Audible - maybe that will help?

Jemi Fraser said...

I do the same Karen, it's hard to let stuff go. I'm trying too - but I want to help & fix for everyone. We'll keep trying! Good luck with that appt!

Matthew MacNish said...

Letting go is very powerful indeed!

LD Masterson said...

It's the mom thing that I get caught up in. My kids are grown and have kids but I still feel like I'm supposed to fix all their troubles.

Liz Fichera said...

Easier said than done, though. Right? I hear ya. And I can relate.

But please take care of yourself, Karen!