Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, March 11, 2013

Monday Musings: Girly girl

I was never a girly girl. Even when I was a teenager, before I got fat, I didn't enjoy my body or choosing clothes to put on it. I guess it's cause I believed I was ugly. Sad, looking back, because I wasn't. Then, at 19, I gained 30 pounds in 3 months (I blame birth control pills) and my metabolism went haywire. Now, at almost 64, I weight less than I weighed at 18 and feel fabulous darling!

So I'm becoming the girly girl I never got to be. I am wearing make-up more often. I am playing with my hair (what little I have left). I am shopping for clothes that look and feel good. I am having a birthday in April to celebrate turning 64 and bought a great outfit to dance my little tushy off.

Is there anything you are doing as an adult that you didn't get to do as a child?
Blessings,
Karen

11 comments:

Francene Stanley said...

Enjoy the final flare of youth while you can. Much to my sorrow, mine faded at age 70. However, with maturity, comes acceptance. We are who we are--time cannot dull the soul inside.

Manzanita said...

Enjoy your rebirth and flaunt.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Enjoy yourself, Karen!
Yes, now I get to be cool because I'm a geek. Back then, I was just a geek.

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I'm still not a girly girl. Maybe some day. I do feel more confident now that I'm an adult.

L.G. Smith said...

I'm still not much of a girly girl. But I feel much more comfortable in my own skin than I did when I was younger. Maybe I just don't care about impressing people as much anymore. :)

Optimistic Existentialist said...

You go girl!!! :)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Sounds like fun! Enjoy yourself!

Karen Walker said...

Francene, I get that, totally
Manzanita, love that term - rebirth - thanks
Alex, isn't it funny how things change
Diane, that's wonderful
L.G. isn't that a good feeling, to feel comfortable in our own skin - it's priceless, really.
Optimistic, I am!
Elizabeth, I am having fun - thanks
Karen

Karen Walker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LD Masterson said...

I was never a girly girl but that was just because I thought the boys got to do all the fun stuff. But my time finally came. I had sons and got to do the fun stuff with them. Now I have grandkids - boys and girls. I love the girls but I still have more fun with the boys.

Pk Hrezo said...

I was never a girly girl either... and my daughter totally is. I like it tho cuz I live vicariously thru her.

Glad you're enjoying it cuz it is fun!!