Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: doing what you love

Are you one of the lucky ones who love what you do for a living? When I worked, I was lucky to work in a profession I enjoyed - public relations. For many years, I owned my own business and got to work with wonderful health care professionals who deeply cared about helping people. I saw my PR business as a means to help those who help others by letting those who needed help know how to find the healers. That is probably the worst sentence ever. Oh well.

Then I quit in 1999 to write full time. I love writing. I don't love when the writing doesn't come, but I forget that doesn't mean I don't love what I do. If I had to make a living at it, I'd be a complete failure, so I think of it as a hobby, not a career. It's a mindset thing that works for me.

I also love singing and dancing. As many of you know, I am a folk dancer. Have been since I was 16, with years of not dancing in between. Now, my knee won't allow me to folk dance too much, unless I want to be in constant pain, which I don't. But I can still do rock n' roll dancing. And I can still choreograph moves for my singing duo Sugartime and do those moves when we sing. I cannot express the joy that comes from doing these things.

How about you? Are you doing what you love, even if your day job isn't it?
Blessings,
Karen

18 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I'm pleased you are doing something you really love. I love to dabble in my poetry and music, I felt lost when my pc kept playing up but hopefully all the gliches are a thing of the past,

Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I work with computers and websites and programs, and yeah, I enjoy it.
I also enjoy writing and playing guitar in our band. And if I were to switch professions now, I'd go full time with the music.

Susan Roebuck said...

I've always wished I'd been a nurse - but it's too late now! I was a teacher (which was rewarding most of the time) but now I write full time and that's just the right profession for me now. Glad you're happy too!

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, so glad your troubles with computer seem to be over.
Alex, lucky man -
Susan, that's lovely
Karen

L.G. Smith said...

I've never had a job I truly loved. Writing is the only thing I really enjoy doing every day. Maybe because it's the only thing I'm kind of good at. :)

L. Diane Wolfe said...

I never had a J-O-B I loved, which is why I'm glad I no longer have one. Most of what I do now, I love, especially the speaking. My problem is that it's sometimes too much and I don't get to stop and enjoy it.

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

Either I've been very very blessed, or I'm very very fickle, because no matter what I'm doing or what I've done, I've always loved doing it. (Except for maybe cleaning the toilets...)

Suze said...

This is a beautiful post, Karen.

Karen Walker said...

L.G. I really doubt that!
Diane, yes, it's important to enjoy as well
Susan, who could love cleaning toilets?
Suze, thank you

Gina Gao said...

I think its always really important to like what you do.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Claudia Moser said...

Yes I do and love waling up every morning!

DL Hammons said...

I'm doing what I LIKE, but I wouldn't say I love it. I'm not complaining though.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Do you use Twitter? I'd like to follow you if that would be okay. I'm definitely enjoying your blog and
look forward to new posts.

my blog post: Michael Kors Factory Outlet

Tracy Moore said...

I am doing what I love...I just need to focus a bit more. Glad that you are doing things that you love too!

Tabitha Bird said...

Hey :) I missed you xx

Yeah, I love what I do, but sometimes... I don't. I am a mum to three boys. I adore them. And sometimes I want to run away from it all.

I am glad you are doing what you love.

Karen Walker said...

Gina, me, too, but it's not always possible,so we have to find other ways to find our joy.
Claudia, that's lovely
DL, like is good!
Anonymous, no, I don't do Twitter
Tracy, yup!
Tab, I've missed you,too. Hope all is well
Karen

Carol Kilgore said...

Yes! The day I wrote my first fiction, I knew I'd come home.

Happy Weekend!

Nas said...

Oh, yes, I love what I do! And enjoy it too!