Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Maintaining Joy

Several people I know are facing very difficult challenges. One is facing a life-threatening challenge. There is always pain and suffering somewhere, whether in my immediate world, or in the world out there. How does one maintain joy and serenity in the midst of all the suffering?

I don't have the answer. I can talk about the struggle, though. How I can get pulled off my center by the least little thing, let alone bigger things. That I can allow the guilt of feeling happy when someone else is unhappy take me from my joy.  It seems as if people are more comfortable with pain and suffering than they are with joy and laughter.

Here's what I know. My dampening my joy will not lesson the pain of another. My shutting off my spirit light will not help any one else turn on theirs. What will help is my learning to keep my spirit light shining as bright and as long as I can. Maintaining that is my spiritual work. It is one of the reasons I continue to sing. It's one of the ways my spirit light does shine.

How about you?
How does your spirit light shine?
Blessings,
Karen

16 comments:

Debora Dennis said...

Finding out own little daily piece of joy...a hard thing to do sometimes but so necessary for our souls to thrive. I blog about finding joy every Tuesday! Nice and heartfelt post :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Your joy will make them feel better, so don't shut it down.

Manzanita said...

You keep singing, girl and that light will heal the ills of the earth,

jaybird said...

I never allow anyone to steal my joy! And I always find a way, no matter how bad my circumstances are- to find one thing that I can focus on be thankful for and that helps keep my joy intact.

Keep shining Karen!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

"This little light of mine..."

Yes! You keep on singing. I love how our blog posts kinda work together today. (Great minds think alike?)

DL Hammons said...

When I'm down and I see another person who is obviously joyful, it reminds me of what things will be like once I work through my issues. I don't frown on their joy. :)

Vicki Rocho said...

That's a good question. It's hard to hold onto joy when you know others are struggling. I guess I trust that everything be okay in the end -- even if it's not what we expect.

I also think our light is the only one some people can see, so it would be a shame to let it go out.

Nicki Elson said...

Yes, Karen, I love that - letting your light shine does lighten the suffering of others. Let it shine!

Karen Walker said...

Thank you all so much for these lovely comments. I was gone all day yesterday and will be writing today.
Karen

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Whenever I feel down I always tell myself that it's just temporary - we all have down moments. Then I always think of all of the wonderful things to be thankful for in life :)

Great post Karen!

Tara Tyler said...

love to sing! always play music when doing chores or in sour mood.

did you know the four core emotions from which all variations flow are: happy, sad, angry, worried

happy must be pretty potent to compete 1 against 3!

have a great weekend!

Michael Offutt, S.F.A. said...

So many challenges out there. I hope that everyone succeeds in conquering them, including me.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Karen.
Thank you for following my blog. I've been here several times and your post today is food for thought. It can be a challenge to stay on top when the world seems to crumble around us, but how strong is the human spirit! We need to be strong for others, too, especially when they're going through difficult trials.
Have a great weekend.
Denise

Romance Reader said...

It's in our hands to decide whether to be happy or sad. We make all the decisions.

I enjoyed my visit here today.

Maria RR

Jemi Fraser said...

Tryng to bring the joy to others is so important and well worth the effort. Your singing does that! :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.