Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday - Letting go of expectations

Last Thursday my singing duo, Sugartime, performed at a senior center. We'd never been to this particular one before, so I was a bit more nervous than usual.  It was a special brunch to honor volunteers and we were the entertainment. It was a large crowd and they were all being seated as we were setting up our equipment. That means we had to do our sound check with our audience already in the room. My mind started to do its thing. This audience will not like the Broadway tunes - it's not a Broadway crowd. My mucus problem is going to embarrass me. Yada Yada Yada.

Right before we were to start singing, I told myself none of that mattered. I was there so share my joy and have fun, because if I have fun, the audience will have fun as well. You know what? I was right.
They loved us, including the Broadway songs. Even though they didn't sing along with those, they were smiling and tapping their feet.

My truth for today. I have opinions inside my own head about what other people will think, like, feel. And I really don't have a clue about that. Moreover, it's none of my business. Love that saying, what you think of me is none of my business. I do so much better when I let go of any expectations about anything I am doing and just be and do whatever it is, with love and joy in my heart if possible.

How about you?
Do expectations get in the way of your enjoyment?
Blessings,
Karen

8 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Great post Karen, I always expected that my family would always be around, Not tied to my apron strings but the phone call now and again and to see my grandchildren grow up, But those expectations did not and have not happened.........perhaps one day?

Yvonne.

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, yes, perhaps one day...hold that vision!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

We really don't know what others are thinking or what they will like, and trying to guess sometimes puts limits on us and on them.

Having fun is important. My seminars could be really dry and boring, but I have fun with them, and my enthusiasm comes through. Attendees feed off of that and enjoy themselves.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Only if I expect too much. I try not to let my expectations wallow at the other end.

Arlee Bird said...

I think we all have expectations when going into something. Usually things turn out much better than I expected or at least weren't as bad. But yes, a heavy burden of expectations can sure put a damper on enjoying things in life.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Deanie Humphrys-Dunne said...

I think that enjoying yourself and bringing joy to others is important. If you were pleased with your efforts and your audience appreciated it, that's a home run!
Very nice blog. Thank you for sharing it. If you'd like to find out about my children's books, please visit; www.dhdunne.blogspot.com.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - we never know do we .. I write posts and think this isn't terribly good - then someone comes on and says I think this is best post you've done ..

So live life .. you love your singing and it shines through .. the audiences will love it .. so pleased for you ..

Enjoy that retreat .. cheers Hilary

Anonymous said...

Hi, after reading this amazing article i am as well delighted to share my know-how here
with friends.

Review my web site bmr calculator