Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Reactive versus Proactive

I am reading a book on ancient mysticism. It says that a major step towards spiritual enlightenment is to become proactive rather than reactive. What that means is that all those negative emotions, like jealousy, envy, anger, hurt, etc. that we react to in ways that are harmful to ourselves and others, well, we have an opportunity to transform by changing those reactions to love or acceptance, non-judgment. Being a very reactive person myself, I have my spiritual work cut out for me. How about you?
Blessings,
Karen

10 comments:

Grammy said...

Hi, Friend... Say, I believe maybe I have read something like that in a book called the Holy Bible... a chapter 13 in the book of Corinthians - it's called the "love chapter", but then, the whole Book is about God's love for us, isn't it? A blessed day to you, my friend. Best regards, Ruby

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

A good post Karen,
Have a good Tuesday.
Yvonne.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I second what Ruby said about Corinthians 13, the love chapter. It always comes back to love.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Nice thought for the day...be proactive with my emotions instead of reactive. Great advice!

L.G. Smith said...

Life is so much more enjoyable when we can let go of all that crap, isn't it? :)

Karen Walker said...

Hi there, Ruby, nice to see you here and thanks
Yvonne, have a great day!
Alex, it sure does!
Elizabeth - thanks!
L.G. yup!

Suze said...

A thought-provoking post, Karen. Looking forward to coffee more than ever.

Claudia Moser said...

Must say that I am rather proactive, sometimes tiresome

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Reactive is letting the situation control you - proactive is you controlling the situation.

Fe said...

Fabulous post. Thanks, Karen

If we would only humble ourselves. I agree with everyone about Cor: 13. :)

The hardest thing at times is to cut the ties that bind us. Anger at someone binds us to that person for bad. I also have a lot of spiritual growth necessary but God's Word is Truth. It will always guide us in His perfect will.