Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday - retreat musings

I love going on retreat. To break away from daily routine, disconnect from phone, computer, TV. To only read spiritual books. To have my journal and pen handy for any insights which might come my way. This retreat took place in Truth or Consequences, New Mexico, and a tiny hot springs resort on the Rio Grande river. Aside from the other guests, an osprey perched on a pole a good deal of the day. Many other bird species visited for a while. But most importantly, my soul opened up to receive more wisdom about this human existence and how to elevate my awareness to connect more with Spirit Light.

I get in trouble frequently when my intentions are not coming from the right place. If I am looking for ego gratification rather than coming from a place of sharing who I am, then I have expectations that always leave me disappointed. I'm learning I must have good, clear intentions and no expectations in order to feel inner peace. I couldn't figure out why I always have a wonderful experience singing at retirement communities but not when I sing at an event when friends are present. What I discovered is that my intention at the retirement places is to share my joy - no ego involved. My intention with my friends is to show what I can do and I have certain expectations about the response I will get. I always screw it up and am always disappointed in both myself and the responses. Now I know why.

How about you? Do you "retreat" from daily life and ponder stuff?
Blessings,
Karen

20 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

I retreat by playing relaxing music and listening to relaxation tapes by Paul McKenna. It's good to "Get away from it all" I am looking forward God willing to taking a trip to Branson MO to see Daniel.

Yvonne.

Manzanita said...

I marvel at your trip to the retreat. I haven't done that in many years.

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, those are wonderful ways to "retreat."
Manzanita, I try once a year, but I'm learning to "retreat" in my daily life as well.

Suze said...

The osprey is a sign to me. A portent of great good.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now you understand the difference.
When I perform with our church band, I have to forget about my performance, because it's not about how well I play, it's about giving glory to God.

Gina Gao said...

I believe that I need to attend a retreat to concentrate on my work.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

Gina Gao said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Karen Walker said...

Suze, I love that.
Alex, yes, now I do understand the difference
Fina, it helps

nfl jerseys cheap said...

This is so good to see your post.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. so pleased you had such a peaceful with some soul answering time .. just what was needed by the sound of it. It is difficult to remember who we are at times isn't it .. and how we change persona for different things ...

The Retreat sounds lovely especially with the birds around .. and I love ospreys .. cheers Hilary

Yolanda Renee said...

Enjoy your retreat.

Ego -- always gets us into trouble. You are right about motivations and the response on a personal level. My way of 'retreating' is so meditate on the sun porch. Listen and watching the birds...very relaxing, centering.

Scribbles From Jenn said...

I think we could all do better with a little less ego gratifying.

I try to focus more on what God wants me to do and less on what I think I need to do. It helps keep it all in perspective.

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, yes, it was quite magical
Yolanda, the sound of the birds singing in the morning were an integral part of the retreat experience
Scribbles from Jenn, yes, that is key

I want to send a great big shout out of gratitude for Alex at http://www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com for featuring me today on his A-Z challenge post for "W."
He made me cry (in a good way). He is a very special man who goes out of his way to help others and is one of the biggest blessings I've received since entering the blogging community in 2009.
Karen

M. J. Joachim said...

This is beautiful. I do pull back often, finding the pace isn't worth the journey at times. Regrouping (even at the oddest of times) is my only recourse to get my footing right. It's like hiking on a rocky, narrow trail. You can't just blaze through it, without looking where you're going. You have to take in your surroundings - it's fun, beautiful, exciting, but it could also be dangerous if you don't.

Arlee Bird said...

I haven't retreated in this way for a very long time. It's probably something I need to do. Forget about the emails, the blogs--everything.

Lee
An A to Z Co-Host
Tossing It Out

Tyrean Martinson said...

I find a retreat in reading, but I also find that feeling in singing at church, going for a walk or bike ride, and just sitting in the sunshine.

Robin said...

I don't think people think about their Place of Intention nearly often enough, myself included. I can completely understand what you're saying about singing. When I go out and karaoke strictly for fun I know I sound so much better than when I am out to impress someone with how I sing. When that is my Intention, I always sound Worse. That is Intention for you.

Julia King said...

I NEED a getaway, for sure. :)

This line of what you wrote is singing to me: "I'm learning I must have good, clear intentions and no expectations in order to feel inner peace."

This is going to be my new mantra. Thanks for sharing such wise words of wisdom. :D

LD Masterson said...

I need to apply your words on intentions and expectations to a few areas in my life. Good food for thought. Thanks.

Karen Walker said...

M.J. I love the analogy of hiking on a rocky trail
Arlee Bird, it is very very freeing.
Tyrean, those are wonderful ways to find it
Robin, it's amazing, isn't it?
Julia you are very welcome
LD, yeah, me, too
Karen