Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Get Healthy Blog Hop



Stephen Tremp, L. Diane Wolfe, Michael Di Gesu and Alex J. Cavanaugh have teamed up for a Blog Hop that focuses on health. This is an issue with many bloggers who have expressed gaining weight over the holidays and other negative health issues that they are dealing with. Here is a Blog Hop that can help us make 2013 a year that we can help turn the tides! 


The Objective: Share with everyone something you have done that affected your health in a positive way. You can share an awesome low cal low fat tasty recipe. Post simple tips to lose weight. Or a testimony on what has helped like joining Weight Watchers. Recommend a routine like P90X or Insanity. Or stretches one can do while sitting in their office chair working or writing. We’re sure people have countless great tips and ideas they would love to share.  To find the participants list, go to one of the host blogs and follow along. Here then is my contribution:

As many of you know, I have been maintaining a 67 pound weight loss for several years. It's easier now, because I have been living this way for so long, even trying to go back to my old habits for just one day doesn't work. I could write a book about this journey, but for the purposes of this blog hop, I'll  narrow it down to a few tips.


  • I hired a nutritionist to help me understand my body, my food issues, how much food I needed to eat each day to lose, and then to maintain. And to tell me what foods and food combinations to eat at each meal.
  • I began to exercise a minimum of 3 times a week. I needed to find an exercise routine that worked for me, since I hate gyms and won't go. I love to dance, so that's what I do. I dance around my living room for a half hour, vigorously to get my heart rate up. Then I worked with a physical therapist (I have knee and shoulder issues) to use body resistance for weight training, since I won't use weights.
  • I don't eat out very often, and when I was losing, it was even less. Eating out, no matter how healthy the choices, causes pounds to go on. I would eat at home, and then join friends for tea. Or a small salad, with oil and vinegar.
  • I limited my complex carb intake to one serving per day.
  • Last year I cut out sugar and white flour. I lost another 15 pounds without trying.
Being food conscious and healthy is not easy. You must read ingredient labels and be vigilant about what you put in your body. I still have moments of resenting what I can't eat, but when I look in the mirror and when I feel how good my body feels, I let go of that and am so very grateful.

How about you? Is your weight where you want it to be? It's never too late...
Blessings,
Karen


27 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I love these tips! I'm one of those who hates the gym, too. If I go, it's only for the treadmill...but I'd much rather use the Wii at home to exercise. I love the way you made exercise fun for you. And I also love that you hired an expert to tailor a plan just for you.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

Wonderful post and tips on how to stay healthy, .....but what about all the time we sit writing at our pcs?

Yvonne.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - it's great you've worked out what's right for you - it's the best way .. as that suits your body and your mind - you're not resenting doing something good for yourself.

I'm sort of in the wheels of process for getting this right for me now ... but I know what I need to do ..

So pleased for you .. a tin of baked beans for weightlifting around the kitchen - it's not something I do .. but I've seen it suggested. Cheers Hilary

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Easting out is so unhealthy, no matter what choice you make. Glad you found exercise you enjoy!
Thanks for participating in our bloghop.

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, it's the only way I can make myself do it
Yvonne, I try not to sit so long at the pc
Hilary, good luck with all that
Alex, I know - it's all the sugar and salt

Arlee Bird said...

You're such a good girl. I need to cut more sugar out of my diet. I read food labels but really don't heed them much. What I need is an in-house cook to fix healthy meals for me.

Your tips are legit. You can still write a book and use this as a promo piece.

Lee
Wrote By Rote

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Karen, new follower here. I too am thinking of cutting down sugar and white flour and also sweets. Actually, I have been eating out a lot and I need to go easy on that.

M. J. Joachim said...

Knowledge is power and good nutrition is so important. Nice tips here, Karen.

Mark Means said...

We've cut out granulated sugar and sugar substitutes and are working on cutting white flour, as well.

Sounds like you have a good regimen going there :)

Annalisa Crawford said...

Well done for maintaining your weight loss. That's sometimes harder than losing it in the first place.

S.K. Anthony said...

Wow, now you have a much bigger determination than I do, I'm so weak lol
Love the tips and like the idea of eating before going out and limiting yourself to tea or salad ;)

Gina Gao said...

These are really amazing tips! I enjoyed reading this post very much.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

~Sia McKye~ said...

No, my weight isn't where I want it to be. I don't diet. I have a healthy food plan that makes me feel good rather than sick. I'm losing the weight I put on while I was sick a couple of years ago. It's been steady and small but this year I can see the difference in my clothes. There are some that are too big now. I'm not complaining. :-)

I do like to use weights (I've been improvising) but I'm not a gym person. Hubs is and loves it. I'd rather dance or walk. Works for me. :-)

Sia McKye OVER COFFEE

D.G. Hudson said...

Hubs used to complain about grocery shopping with me, since I always read the labels. It slows me down a bit, but I want to know what's in the food I eat.

Protein and getting enough of it was something I had to do. And I had to cut out a lot of dairy products, while still getting enough calcium.

Rebecca Green Gasper said...

I love to dance. I line dance a few hours a week...can't live without it! :) Have a wonderful day :)

Nicki Elson said...

Hi Karen. I've been lax in blogland and can't believe this is the first time I've visited since reading your wonderful book! It's very cool to truly understand the history of your struggle with weight while reading this post. You are living proof that it can be done. Seems like every half-decade or so we need to find something new to cut out, doesn't it? But you're absolutly right - feeling great totally makes up for it. :)

Jo said...

It's great that you have been able to lose a lot of weight and keep it off. Keeping it off is, after all, the most difficult part.

JO ON FOOD, MY TRAVELS AND A SCENT OF CHOCOLATE

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Going to a nutritionist was a good idea. You certainly saw the results.

It also shows how different everyone's body is. Sugars in food and drinks mess me up, but I consume a lot of carbs. As a vegan though, if I didn't I would starve.

Denise Covey said...

Good for you for finding what works for you and sticking to it. Eating out a lot is my downfall so I exercise a lot.

Susanne Drazic said...

Great tips. CONGRATS on the weight loss!

Karen Walker said...

Thanks everyone, for these lovely comments. Thanks to Stephen, Diane, Alex and Michael for coming up with this wonderful idea for a blog hop.

Stephen Tremp said...

Hi Karen, its important to associate with someone such as a nutritionist. We see one a few times a year and take the kids. This helps us stay on track and live a healthier lifestyle.

Suze said...

A 67-pound weight loss is an incredible feat. Keeping it off even more so! Congratulations, Karen. Inspiring.

S.P. Bowers said...

That's wonderful you were able to lose and maintain a 67lb weight loss! Your tips are great and I'll be trying to pay a little more attention.

Laura said...

These are some great tips, and they obviously work! I particularly like the dancing - I hate the gym, so that might be an idea for me!

Michael Di Gesu said...

Hi, Karen,

You are SO RIGHT... it is NEVER too late. It's amazing how resilient the body is. You can abuse it for year and it will react accordingly... BUT... the moment you feed it properly and move, it bounces back! Thank GOD.

You have some great tips here and I relate to the resentment on occasion, but the end result is a HEALTHIER YOU...

Dancing is a GREAT way to move... we all need to exercise and to find a FUN way to do it is the key.

Thanks for joining the HOP and have a great weekend!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

My weight? Um, no, it isn't exactly where I want it to be, but I'm rather diplomatic about it. I used to be way too skinny. And now... I'm not. But I feel good, get around well, and can still do a heck of a lot of things my mother couldn't do at this age. So what's a few pounds of fat? When I die, I'll be skinny again in no time.