Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, May 27, 2013

Monday Musings: Consequences

In everything we do, there are consequences. When I lived my life on automatic pilot, I was unaware of this connection and so was blindsided frequently when things didn't go the way I expected or wanted or thought they would. Now that I am conscious and present more of the time, I am more fully aware of the concept of consequences. So, when I made a decision to cut back on my blogging activity, only posting and visiting other blogs on Mondays and Tuesday, and not participating in a blogfest unless it really really appeals to my fun side, I knew there would be consequences in terms of getting new followers and the number of comments I receive. Since it was a conscious decision, I am okay with this result. That doesn't mean I don't wish it were different. I wish there was more time each day. I wish I had more energy. I wish my writing was going faster. I wish, I wish, I wish.

There are so many opportunities to expand our connections on the internet. I so want to avail myself of those options. I suppose I could choose to spend 3-4 hours per day instead of the half hour I now allow myself. But if I did that, other things would be sacrificed. Can I sacrifice my novel? I don't think so.
Can I sacrifice my singing? I don't think so? Can I sacrifice my time with my hubby? I don't think so.
Can I sacrifice my spiritual studies? I don't think so.

Do you handle the consequences of your actions well? Do you think about the consequences before doing something?
Inquiring minds want to know....

P.S. I found this quote the other day and thought of all the writers out here who get upset by negative reviews and critical comments about our work. This is for all of you:


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs..(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly."
Theodore Roosevelt

Blessings,
Karen

8 comments:

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

How true that quote is Karen, A much enjoyable post,
Have a good day.
Yvonne.

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

Unfortunately, there are only so many hours in the day! I'm exactly like you there, Karen--I can't do everything I'd like to, especially online. Something has to give and it's never my family or my writing...it's usually either my housework :), cleaning up my car, social media, or organizing my purse. Guess how my car, purse, and house look right now...ha!

Suze said...

Inspired to fail greatly. ;)

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen - I think you've made wise choices ... I keep evaluating, but keep on keeping .. but I'm in the arena at least and learning ...

I do wonder but I love the comments and interaction and I don't do other social media .. the thought of including more .. somewhat baffles me!

Cheers and happy times with your friends and hubby - Hilary

Karen Walker said...

Yvonne, that quote is so inspiring to me
Elizabeth, I can imagine!
Suze, yes, isn't that awesome?
Hilary, Cheers to you as well, Hilary

butik busana muslim murah said...

I love your beautiful blog I really liked your article as it is very interesting to read thank you.

Arlee Bird said...

I'm a great believer in the consequences of actions and understanding and accepting consequences. I can tell you for the most part why I am where I am because I recognize my past actions and the series of consequences that led me to where I am. That doesn't always mean I change my behavior because I've learned from them--sometimes I'm just stuck in ruts of bad habit.

I've seen similar effects as you've described, though unfortunately my on-line cutbacks still are resulting in more writing.

Whatever you do know that works to positive benefit in your life is what needs to be done. You at least keep a thread attached to your blog and that keeps the blog active. I think your blogging activity serves its necessary purpose. Good job!

Lee
Wrote By Rote

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

I had to make similar decisions, myself, after my daughters were born. I cut back on my blogging and made some changes to my gaming group's meet-ups.

I do miss being able to give so much attention to blogs and blogging, but I find I'm enjoying the more immediate interaction I can get on Facebook and Twitter.