Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Monday, May 20, 2013

Monday Musings: milestones

I have a young friend who just graduated from high school and will be going away to college in the Fall. I've watched this young lady grow up before my very eyes and it made me think about milestones and how important it is to mark them in one's life. We celebrate the big things like birthdays and anniversaries and graduations, weddings, funerals. But what about other milestones? Things like finishing the first draft of your first ever novel? Reconnecting with an old friend? Losing those last 10 pounds? Doing something well that you've struggled with for awhile? It's a way of honoring ourselves and our processes and our journeys and feel like we're not just marking time here on this planet--not just ticking off a to-do list.

How about you?
What milestone might you need to recognize and honor?
Blessings,
Karen

15 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I love the idea of celebrating personal milestones! I was just commenting to a friend the other day that many of the big milestone celebrations seem to come early in one's life. Good point to focus on the progress we make.

Manzanita said...

Paramount idea, marking the milestones.

L.G. Smith said...

I'd love to celebrate losing those last ten pounds. Ha! Trying!

I do turn fifty in just a couple of weeks. I've had very mixed feelings about it. Mostly I'm good with it though. :)

Karen Walker said...

Elizabeth, great minds think alike, Ha!
Manzanita, thanks
L.G., my life has gotten better and better since turning 50 and most recently, 64. Celebrate!

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Personal milestones are just as important. We need to reward ourselves for every step taken.

Jack said...

This is true. Even if it doesn't seem as big as graduating or getting married, even the little things are big when we accomplish them.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

It's good to celebrate milestones , it makes one realise what you have achieved in your life.

Yvonne.

Karen Walker said...

Diane, yup yup yup
Jack, yes, little things can be huge
Yvonne, sometimes I forget and looking back makes me feel so good!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

As my wife likes to say, it's the little things that matter.

LD Masterson said...

My big brother and I (with our respective spouses) are leaving on vacation together this week. It will be the first time we have been on a vacation together since we both got married, forty plus years ago. I guess that qualifies as a milestone worth celebrating.

Karen Walker said...

Alex, your wife is very wise
LD, absolutely qualified - enjoy!

Arlee Bird said...

I think we tend to celebrate the obvious and the expected. Why not quietly celebrate everyday? Or have a spontaneous celebration just because?

Sometimes it's good to make a day special for no special reason other than just because we made it special. Milestones are great reasons. If we don't start the celebration ourselves for some things, the rest of the world will never know we've got something to celebrate.

Party on!

Lee
Wrote By Rote
An A to Z Co-host blog

Suze said...

I like Lee's comment on your lovely post, K. :)

Karen Walker said...

Lee, such wise words - thank you
Suze, me, too

Patricia Stoltey said...

I love celebrating milestones and I'm old enough to have experienced a bunch of them. I'll soon get to celebrate the publication of my first short story (not the first one I wrote but the first one to appear in a real anthology that pays a royalty). I think I'll celebrate by taking my hubby out to my favorite creperie for brunch and mimosas.