Welcome to Following the Whispers blog

Thank you so much for taking the time to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay. I blog here whenever I feel the need. This blog was created at the time my memoir came out, in February, 2009. Its motto was: creating a life of inner peace and self-acceptance from the depths of despair. Now, my focus is sharing this journey we call life.

“Only one thing is more frightening than speaking your truth, and that is not speaking it.” Naomi Wolf

“We are called human beings, not human doings.” Wes Nisker, Buddhist teacher

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs…(And) if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly.” Theodore Roosevelt

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Telling the Truth Tuesday: Distant Friendships

I had the most wonderful week last week because one of my dearest friends from my previous life in Portland, OR came to visit for a week. We have a closeness that really makes my Spirit happy and when we are together, it is quite magical. I was able to enjoy the moments we have together, feel the sadness when she left for home, know that I miss that in-person connection, but also know that the closeness and connection are not diminished because we are distant friends.

Isn't it similar with blogging buddies?
Blessings,
Karen

17 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Karen .. what a great meeting ... I'm so pleased for you both.

The experience of blogging buddies may well be so ... except we haven't met, nor has that experience been that long ... but perhaps the understanding can come more quickly via blogging as we can relatively quickly relate to blogging friends.

Our experience I would imagine could stand us in good stead and we understand the 'need' of not necessarily meeting each other regularly ... but we're there for each other.

Cheers and it sounded like a glorious heart warming week for you ... Hilary

T. Drecker said...

What a special thing! Glad it went so well. As to bloggers, I'm always glad when someone I haven't seen for awhile suddenly pops up again. And yes, it's like they never disappeared.

YVONNE LEWIS: said...

A great meeting Karen, I am pleased for you.

Yvonne.

Jessica Bell said...

Absolutely! :-)

Karen Walker said...

Hilary, I have been amazed at the closeness I feel with some of my blogging buddies despite never having met in person
T. Decker, yes, that's so true
Yvonne, Jessica, thanks
karen

Jack said...

Many people say friends cannot be close if they don't live near each other. This is one thing I can never believe, because I've seen many strong, long distant friendships.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is exactly how it is with blogging friends.
Glad you got to spend some time with her. Sounds like she'll always be a good friend.

Glynis said...

It is that way with online/blogging friends! Hugs Karen. x

Robin said...

Sounds like a lovely day. It is exactly that way with old friends and very special blogging friends.

Karen Walker said...

Jack, I won't believe it either. I'm living proof.
Alex, always always
Glynis, yup
Robin, so true
karen

L. Diane Wolfe said...

It's funny how we can just reconnect like that. Fifteen years passed between the last time I'd seen my best friend from school, but when we caught up with each other in person ten years ago, it was as if no time had passed.

Claudia Moser said...

Sounds like you had fun!

Susan Flett Swiderski said...

With some friends, no matter how many years you've been apart, you can pick up again as though you're continuing a briefly interrupted conversation. It's gotta be one of life's greatest pleasures.

And yes, much to my surprise, we can and do form friendships with our blogging pals. Who'd a thunk it?

LD Masterson said...

What's even cooler is when you get to meet a blogging buddy in person and they become an offline friend as well.

Anonymous said...

I am regular reader, how are you everybody? This article posted
at this web page is really pleasant.

Feel free to visit my web blog ... samsung galaxy s4

Liz Fichera said...

Those are the things that make life so lovely. :)

Arlee Bird said...

I've begun to feel a greater closeness to my blogging friends than my old friends back in Tennessee. I am in greater contact with internet friends as I am here everyday and there is always some to reach out to or reaching out to me. My old friends rarely call me and I don't call them like I used to. It's kind of weird that I guess we're all afraid we might be bothering somebody at an inconvenient time, but when we do connect it's just like old times. Geographical distance seems to get more difficult the older I get.

Lee
A Faraway View
An A to Z Co-host blog